City of Madison Logo
City of Madison Development Services Center
Image: Land Development

Street Occupancy: Land Development

Contact: Email Building Inspection Phone Number (608) 266-4551
When your construction or demolition requires materials or machinery to be on or over streets, sidewalks, alleys or public grounds a Street Occupancy permit is necessary. This ensures the welfare and safety of the users of adjacent properties [City Ordinance 29.10].
  • Permit applications must be submitted 48 hours in advance of any street occupancy or street closures (this process may take longer if needed).
  • The maximum number of days a permit can be issued for is 90 days.


  1. Start Permit Process

    Discuss your site and building plans with the Inspection staff when you apply for a construction or demolition permit. Start the process for a Street Occupancy Permit the same time you apply for the other permits.

    Where to go:
    Building Inspection Permit Counter
    Hours: 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday
    Madison Municipal Building
    215 Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd., Suite LL 100
    Madison, WI  53703   

  2. Obtain Certificate of Insurance

    Obtain a copy of the City of Madison Certificate of Insurance at . Your insurance agent can place the mandatory coverage for the permit and complete the insurance certificate.  Return this information to the Risk Manager for review and approval.

    Where to go:
    Finance Department
    City-County Building
    210 Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd., Room 406
    Madison, WI  53703    (608) 266-5965

  3. Apply for Permit

    Obtain the Street Occupancy Permit application from the Permit Counter in the Department of Planning and Development. Turn in the completed application form at the same counter.

    Fill out the top portion of the permit and draw a sketch of the location and the obstruction (a separate drawing may be attached if needed). The “Special Requirement for Occupancy” area is for office use; you are not required to fill this out.

    Building Inspection staff and Traffic Engineering staff will review the application. A traffic control plan may be requested from the applicant if necessary.

  4. Pay Fees

    Building Inspection staff and Traffic Engineering staff calculate the fee. They will issue the permit after you pay the fee. If meter bags or “No Parking Anytime” signs are needed, the applicant will need to get these from Traffic Engineering’s front counter.

  5. Completion

    Construction can proceed once the appropriate barriers are erected.

Related Forms & Handouts

Have Questions?

Contact Building Inspection - (608) 266-4551