Join the MPD Team
MPD Hiring Process
- We still have openings for our next testing session! To be considered for the November 6th testing session, submit your application by September 1, 2016. Instructions are provided on Apply: The Process. Good luck!
- Testing sessions remaining for the 2017 Academy process are scheduled for November 6th and December 11th. There is also a consolidated testing date for candidates traveling 6 hours or more to Madison. Consolidated testing is scheduled for January 8th. Candidates are assigned to a testing date after submitting an application. APPLY NOW!
- The deadline for the 2017 MPD Hiring Process is November 1, 2016. Applications received after this date will be entered into our 2018 process.
- MPD Open House: September 18, 2016 at 4:00 pm. Candidates can hear directly from Chief Koval and ask him questions about the hiring process, what we look for in prospective officers and strategies to prepare. These sessions typically last 1-1/2 to 2 hours.
- 2017 Academy Hiring Timeline:
- Oral Board Interview: Approximately 6-8 weeks after your initial testing day
- Background Investigations: Can begin immediately after an oral board interview, or no later than February, 2017
- Trilogy: Chief's Interview, Personality Assessment and Ride-Along with a Field Training Officer - April, 2017
- Tentative Job Offers: May, 2017
- Medical Clearance: July, 2017
- Academy begins: September, 2017
- Have a question? Contact a Recruiter today and let's get started!
Policing in partnership with our community - join our team by becoming an officer and make a difference!
Starting salary from $49,421 annually, with a raise after six months to $54,952.
Some of the other benefits are:
- Health insurance coverage through five different options (some of these programs are at no cost to the employee)
- Thirty-seven and one-half (37-1/2) hour work week
- Pension covered through the Wisconsin Retirement System; contributions made by employer and employee
- Educational incentive pay plan after forty-two (42) months of continuous service
- Wage, life, and disability insurance plans
- Labor Contracts and Employee Handbooks
August 8, 2016 12:55 PM
Want to JOIN THE TEAM? Want to learn how to go from being "good" to "great" as a candidate? Check out the Open House on Sunday, September 18 at 4pm. All questions answered/official exam to follow (for those who want to). For more information visit our website: … [read more]
June 2, 2016 12:42 PM
We are currently accepting applications for our 2017 academy. If you would like to be considered for our next testing session, applications must be received by August 1, 2016. Instructions are provided on our website at: http://www.cityofmadison.com/police/jointeam/ … [read more]
May 4, 2016 12:23 PM
No problem, use the link below to access a video recording of this session. Hear directly from Chief Koval on topics to include what we are looking for in prospective candidates, the Madison method of policing as well as a detailed description of the hiring … [read more]