Prepare: The Tests
Following a review of your application, you will be invited to take a written exam. These tests are not intended to assess your knowledge of specific skill sets or procedures unique to policing.
The written exam measures reading comprehension and vocabulary skills, similar to those you have probably taken in school. A COMPREHENSIVE ESSAY WILL ALSO BE GIVEN AT THE WRITTEN EXAM AND SHOULD BE REVIEWED PRIOR TO ARRIVAL.
Physical Agility Test
Standards 1 through 3 as listed below are minimums established by the Police and Fire Commission (PFC) that MUST be met as a condition of employment.
- Abdominal Strength: 25 sit-ups in 1 minute.
- Cardio-Vascular Endurance: 1-1/2 miles in no more than 14:30.
- Upper Body Strength: 15 "perfect protocol" pushups
Candidates will also be assessed, but not graded on:
- Flexibility (lower back and hamstrings): Sit and Reach Test
- Muscular endurance (hand strength): Trigger Pull Test
- Explosive power of the lower body (leg strength): Vertical Jump Test
Check back for more information on the Physical Fitness Assessment.