Currently the CDA Public Housing program is ONLY taking applications for the following:
- One-Bedroom disabled
- One-Bedroom near-elderly or elderly (50 years of age or older)
- Five-Bedroom (family composition of 7 - 10 people)
- One- and Two-Bedroom wheelchair accessible
Public Housing Sites and Property Details
The CDA's East Site Public Housing is comprised of Truax Park Apartments, Tenney Park Apartments, and scattered units on the East side of Madison.
- Truax Park Apartments is located at the intersection of Wright Street and Straubel Street on the Northeast side of Madison. Madison Area Technical College (MATC) is located across the street from this beautifully landscaped complex. The East Madison Community Center (EMCC) is a full service multi-use community center and is located in the heart of the Truax Park Apartments. On-site management and maintenance are also located at the complex.
- Tenney Park Apartments are located in the 300 block of North Baldwin Street on the Near East side of Madison. The property is attractively landscaped and is a part of a lovely old residential neighborhood only a short distance from Tenney Park. Tenney welcomes individuals over the age of 50, as well as individuals with disabilities.
The CDA's West Site provides Public Housing at Romnes Apartments and scattered units on the West and Southwest sides of Madison.
- Romnes Apartments is located at 540 West Olin Avenue on the South side of Madison, and is designated as a senior property welcoming individuals of age 50 or better. The property is built on 10 acres of land overlooking the Capitol, Lake Monona and the Frank Lloyd Wright Convention Center. Romnes is beautifully landscaped with a park-like setting, including an open courtyard and flower garden. The South Madison Coalition of the Elderly (SMCE) provides monthly senior center programs and activities at Romnes, as well as a meal program 5 days a week. Romnes has a community room available for resident parties, family events, and other occasions. Several restaurants, churches, and a grocery store are located in the area. On-site management and maintenance are also located at the complex.
The CDA's Triangle Site Public Housing is comprised of Brittingham Apartments and Gay Braxton Apartments. Both apartment complexes are designated for residents who are 50 years of age or better and for residents who qualify as an individual with a disability. Centrally located in Madison, Brittingham and Gay Braxton are both located on a triangle-shaped property framed by Park Street, West Washington Street, and Regent Street. The Triangle is a part of the historic Greenbush neighborhood and only blocks from the University of Wisconsin campus, the downtown Capitol area, and the shores of Lake Monona. The Bayview International Center for Education and the Arts serves as the local community center.
- Brittingham Apartments is located at 755 Braxton Place.
- Gay Braxton Apartments is located in the 702 Braxton Place
Many of the CDA's Public Housing properties offer the following amenities:
- Affordable rental rates
- Security locked and monitored buildings
- Free, off-street parking
- Located on, or near, a bus line
- Laundry facilities on the premises
- Balcony or patio space
- Storage space
- Resident Service Staff
- Community room
- Playground areas
- Community garden plots
For more information or to obtain an application, please call (608) 266-4675