Refuse & Recycling Container Winter Placement Do's & Don'ts
- The best placement is on your driveway after you have cleared it of snow.
- Carts can also be placed on a cleared area of your terrace, or after your street has been plowed, place it in the gutter right next to your driveway.
- Do not leave your cart on the sidewalk or on top of a snow bank.
- Improperly placed carts will not be collected.
- Alley placement: Carts must be placed at the alley edge. Carts on private property or by the garage will not be collected.
Holiday Refuse & Recycling Collection Schedule
There will be no refuse or recycling collection on Monday January 18th due to the Martin Luther King Jr. Holiday.
If your material is normally collected on Monday it will be collected on Tuesday January 19th.
The Streets Division's self help drop off sites and offices will also be closed on the 18th.
Refuse, Large Item & Recycling:
The Streets Division does not provide refuse, large item, or recycling collection on City holidays.
- New Year's Day
- Martin Luther King Jr.. Holiday
- Memorial Day
- Independence Day (July 4th)
- Labor Day
- The Friday after Thanksgiving
- Christmas Day
The self- help drop off sites will also be closed on holidays. The sites close at Noon on Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve.
It is the policy of the Streets Division to provide refuse and recycling collection in those areas affected by the holiday on the next working day after the holiday.
For example, all residents of Monday's trash collection districts will have their refuse and recycling collected the Tuesday after a Monday holiday (as listed above).
Exception: The two-day Thanksgiving Holiday.
- Residents in the Thursday refuse district will have their material collected the Wednesday before Thanksgiving.
- Residents in the Friday District will have their material collected on the following Monday.
For 2016 the residents of Thursday's District will have their material collected on Wednesday, November 23rd. Residents in Friday's District will have their material collected on Monday, November 28th..
Large Item Collection:
Large item collection is greatly curtailed during weeks with holidays. We ask that you hold your large items until the following collection if at all possible.