Madison Water Utility is offering rebates of up to $100 for residential customers and owners of apartment buildings who replace high water using toilets with EPA WaterSense-rated High Efficiency Toilet (HET) models. The program is part of the our Water Conservation and Sustainability Plan to reduce per capita water use 20 percent by the year 2020, with the goal of protecting the quality and quantity of the deep-well aquifer that supplies the Madison area. Toilets eligible for rebate must be HETs (which use an average of 1.28 gallons per flush) and must be on the Environmental Protection Agency's (EPA) WaterSense list. The program is for one rebate per household or apartment unit.
- Participants in the program must be residential customers of the Madison Water Utility, and the installation address must be in the customer service area of the utility. Qualified customers are those who live in single-family homes, condos, or apartments.
- The program is for only one rebate for one toilet per household or apartment unit.
- Eligible replacement toilets must be HETs listed on the EPA WaterSense website. A toilet that meets the criteria and is purchased after January 1, 2009, will be eligible.
- Rebates are for replacement of existing larger-capacity toilets, and are not for new construction.
- Rebates are first-come, first-served, until funding is exhausted.
To apply for the rebate, you must submit two items:
- The original, dated sales receipt for the toilet showing the manufacturer's model name and number. (You should keep a photocopy of your receipt.)
- A completed application form.
These items must be mailed or delivered to the following address:
Madison Water Utility
Toilet Rebate Program
119 East Olin Avenue
Madison, WI 53713
Owners may install the toilets themselves, or they may hire a plumber or contractor to do the job. Owners are responsible for proper installation and associated costs. Installation may be subject to verification by water utility personnel. Toilets may be purchased at any supplier as long as they are on the WaterSense list of HETs.
Rebate checks of up to $100 (not to exceed actual purchase price) will be sent to the customer's address or credited to the customer's water bill, after applications are processed. Please allow four to six weeks. Rebates are not available for the costs of installation.
Disposal of Old Toilets
Replaced toilets should be disposed of so that they cannot be re-used. This can be done by placing them at the curb for pick-up by the Streets and Recycling Department.
For more information, call the Madison Water Utility at (608) 266-4651.