City of

Community Events On Madison Streets - neighborhood block party
START PLANNING YOUR Neighborhood Block Party

Residential Street Closure

A Street Use Permit is required by the City of Madison for any event or activity that takes place on city streets. This includes neighborhood block parties where a block or two in a residential area is closed for residents to have a gathering and activities in the street. No individual, group or organization shall be granted a Street Use Permit if there is any unpaid balance with the City of Madison for a previous event.


The cost to have a community event on Madison streets varies. All events must pay a non-refundable application fee. The application fee for a block party is $50. This fee must be submitted 14 days prior your block party.


A Neighborhood Block Party may require a Street Use Permit if:

  • Closing the street(s) requested will impact traffic more than minimally.
  • Metro routes need to be altered for the event.
  • It is anticipated that attendance at the block party will exceed 100 and/or that a significant number of nonresidents will attend the party.

If you have questions or think that you may need to apply for a different type of permit, contact us or go to the Street Permit Application Process for more information.


Phone (608) 266-6033 or email Madison Events

Contact Us    Email Madison Events | Phone (608) 266-6033 | Go to City of Madison Parks