Community Events on Madison Streets
The use of a Madison street, sidewalk, parking space/lane or downtown performance space for an event or activity requires a Street Use Permit. Below is the process and timeline to apply.
A permit is required for any of the following:
- The event/activity would close or reserve any portion of a Madison street, sidewalk, parking lane or space.
- The proposed time for the event/activity would create more than minimal disruption or rerouting of traffic from the requested street(s).
- The event/activity is scheduled at one of the downtown performance spaces outside of the time periods allowed by an Amplification Permit.
When to apply:
The application, documents and non-refundable application fee must be submitted:
- At least 60 days prior to your event if alcohol will be sold or a Special Event Resolution is needed to allow merchandise to be sold in the Mall Concourse area and / or organizers want to select their own vendors and invalidate City Vendors' licenses within the event perimeter.
- At least 30 days prior to your event, if event does not require additional licenses or resolutions. If your event requires a Certificate of Insurance, it must be received by the City of Madison Risk Management Office 30 days prior to the event.
- Fee Schedule is available to estimate the costs for your event and any extra permits or equipment rental you may need.
- Check the Madison Parks Events Calendar, email or call, (608) 264-9289, to see if your preferred date and location are available.
Downtown Zone Events:
The Downtown Zone includes the core of the isthmus extending roughly from Blair to Park streets, excluding the Capitol Square, the 100 blocks off the square, and 200 block of Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard. Within this zone special rules apply to traveling route events such as a run/walk or parade. Please review and be aware of these restrictions when applying for a Street Use Permit in this area. Exceptions to the Standards for the Downtown Zone (MGO 10.056(5)(j)): Legacy Events & Premier Events (Premier Event - Qualifying Criteria).
How to apply:
You will be prompted to login or create an account, if you do not have one already.
If you prefer the paper application process, proceed to "STEP 1: Application Requirements."
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Street Use Staff Commission
- Events on Madison Streets Packet
- Events that Need Water Quality Testing