Reservations and checking the availability of our larger shelters may be completed ONLINE or you may call the Madison Parks Office at (608) 266-4711 Monday-Friday, 8:00 am – 4:15 pm. More information and details on reserving a large shelter may be found in our Shelter Reservations Guide.
Most shelters are open mid-April through mid-October. There are a few exceptions:
- Open Year-Round:
- Open mid-April through mid-November:
: We are continually improving our park system. Some of these improvements may impact a nearby shelter. Prior to making a reservation, please visit Parks Projects
for more information on specific parks.
Pricing varies depending on the shelter and may be viewed here
- Picnic shelters are also reservable or available on a first-come, first served basis.
- Madison Parks does not guarantee absolute privacy to any group. Your reservation will reserve only the facility you are using, not the entire park or other facilities within the park. If you are interested in reserving the entire park, please visit Special Events.
- Alcohol is permitted in most Madison Parks. There are a handful of parks that are alcohol-free. In order to have alcohol in these parks, you must have a reservation and an alcohol permit, which can be obtained when placing your reservation.
- Public improvements and/or construction may be underway during the time of your reservation. The City of Madison Parks Division makes every attempt to schedule around events and shelter reservations whenever possible, however, this is not a guarantee. Please keep in mind improvements to parks and infrastructure continues throughout the year. Please visit Park Projects for a partial list of major capital improvement projects.
- Firearms or weapons are not permitted at any of the shelters. Violators may be considered trespassers and may be subject to forfeiture or arrest.
- The availability of Gates of Heaven may be checked online however, you will need to call to make your reservation.
- 2019 RESERVATIONS: Available beginning on Lottery Day - Tuesday, November 13, 2018.
ANNUAL LOTTERY DAY: Tuesday, November 13, 2018
WHAT IS LOTTERY DAY? This is the first day you may make a shelter reservation for the following year. Held typically on the 2nd Tuesday in November, the day begins with in-person reservations (see below), and follows with phone-in and online reservations.
WHAT IS THE PROCESS?
View all Large Shelters
- Beginning at 7:30am and ending promptly at 7:59am, each party wishing to reserve a park shelter is given a numbered lottery ticket. The distribution takes place in the lobby of the City-County Building, outside the Parks Administrative Office (210 Martin Luther King, Jr. Blvd. Rm. 104)
- Due to the random drawing process, arriving prior to 7:30am is not recommended or necessary. The building is locked until 7:30am.
- Only ONE lottery ticket is given to each party reserving a shelter. Failure to abide by this rule may forfeit your eligibility in the Lottery Day process.
- Beginning at 8:00am, random lottery tickets are drawn. This order establishes when reservations are processed.
- If you arrive after the drawing begins, you will need to wait until the Lottery Day process is complete before you may place your reservation.
- Cash, checks or credit cards (MasterCard or Visa) are accepted for your full payment, which is due at the time of processing your reservation, along with any required permits.
- Dates NOT available due to Special Events are posted here.
- Cancellation Policy: Reservations made during the Lottery Day process will receive only a 50% refund up until 10 days prior to the reservation. Within 10 days, no refunds are provided.
Garner Park Shelter
Address: 333 S. Rosa Rd
Capacity: Seats 80 people in main section, 60 people in upper section
Restrooms: In shelter
Water: Available in shelter
Parking: Parking lot