Before you start a home remodeling project, you should think about how you are going to dispose of the construction debris you will generate. The Street Division's collection of this material is very limited and you may need to contact a private hauler or take the material to the landfill yourself.
Collection of building material is limited to debris from minor home improvement projects done by the resident. Debris from major remodeling or construction projects and work done by contractors will NOT be collected.
SHINGLES: Shingles have been banned form the Dane County Landfill and are no longer collected by the Streets Division, nor are will they be accepted at the self help sites. Shingle recycling options
Shingle Disposal Options
There is a limit of 6 bags and/or containers or their equivalent, of building material per week. This weekly limit includes boards or lumber placed for Large Item collection.
These regulations also apply to the Street Division's self help sites at 1501 W. Badger Rd. and 4602 Sycamore Ave.
Before you put an item out for collection consider donating reusable items to a charity or give away or sell them at Madison Stuff Exchange.
- Dry Wall
- Wood Paneling
Bricks, concrete and concrete blocks will not be collected regardless of volume.
Cabinets, doors, windows, plumbing fixtures (sinks, toilets, etc.), and furnaces are considered large items. Go to Large Item Collection.
- Scrap lumber: Go to Large Item Collection
- Boards must be less than 8 feet in length.
- Remove nails or bend so they do not protrude.
- Place boards at the curb separate from your regular refuse.
- Rain gutters and pipes are collected for recycling by Large Item metal crews: Place these items separately at the curb.
- Items over 8 feet in length must be bent over or cut down for collection.
- You can reach Habitat for Humanity ReStore at (608) 661-2813.
Mixed load recyclers
- Dane County Transfer Station 7102 U.S. Highway 12, Madison. (608) 838-9555
- Royal Container, 4197 Reardon Road, De Forest. (608) 846-2818
- Waste Management, 2418 W. Badger Rd (608) 235-6047
- Concrete can be recycled by Wingra Stone (608) 271-5555, Hammersley Stone (608) 845-7804, Mandt Sandfill (608) 835-5858, or Northwestern Stone (608) 836-1701.
Bricks Northwestern Stone and Mandt Sandfill will also take bricks.
Asphalt can be recycled by DRS (608) 836-6667, Payne & Dolan (608) 845-890, Hammersley Stone (608) 845-7804 and Mandt Sandfill (608) 835-5858.
Asphalt Shingles can be taken to Roof Top Recycling (262) 723-2547, Royal Container (608) 846-2818, and Waste Management (608) 235-6047.
Drywall can be recycled by the mixed load recyclers listed above.
Building Material Most private refuse haulers offer collection service for building material.