Occupants Put Out Kitchen Fire In Northside Apartment

Incident Type
Excessive heat/scorch
Dispatch
Saturday, September 30, 2017 - 12:09pm
Arrival
Saturday, September 30, 2017 - 12:12pm
Address
1500 Block Troy Drive
Madison, WI 53706
Narrative

Occupants inside a Troy Drive apartment were able to put out a fire that ignited on their stove using a fire extinguisher. Tenants say they reported problems with the stove to property management several times prior to the incident that occurred around noon on Saturday.

Engine Company 10 responded to the apartment, where one occupant said he used the extinguisher on the back of the stove and the adjacent wall. Firefighters pulled the stove away from the wall and unplugged it. Using a thermal imaging camera, firefighters noted the wall and the stove were still warm. They monitored the heat signatures as they gathered details about what happened.

The crew ventilated the apartment, which was hazy from the fire extinguisher. The occupants were advised not to use the stove anymore. They were able to stay in their apartment.

Posted 10/02/2017 - 10:18am
Contacts

Cynthia Schuster (Public Information Officer)