Residential burglaries continue to be an area of concern in the West District. Taking some simple steps can help prevent you from becoming a victim:
- Keep your doors and windows locked, even while at home.
- Keep your garage door closed, and lock any door from the garage to the interior of your home.
- Keep the exterior of your home well illuminated; consider motion detecting lights as well.
- Leave interior lights on when you're gone; consider using a timer to turn them on and off.
- Keep trees and shrubs near your home trimmed so that the exterior is visible.
- If you'll be away, take steps so it isn't obvious that you're gone: stop the mail and newspaper, have your driveway/sidewalk shoveled, keep your home illuminated using timers, etc.
- Get to know your neighbors, so you'll know what kind of activity is suspisious or unusual. Don't hesitate to call MPD if you see something suspicious.
- Don't leave keys concealed outside your residence.
- Keep a good inventory of your valuables, including serial numbers. This information can be a great help in case you are victimized.
Many burglaries occur when suspects simply enter residences through open garages or unlocked doors. Taking these simple steps can help prevent you from being victimized.