SELF HELP DROP OFF SITE
The City of Madison operates two self-service drop-off sites that accept your excess cardboard, general recyclables, large items, refuse, rigid plastics, electronics, cooking oil, yard waste, and brush. Sites can be utilized ONLY by City of Madison residents and property owners. Contractors are not allowed to use the self-help drop-off sites (contractors are only allowed to use the brush processing center for brush disposal). Proof of residency and/or property ownership is required in order to use the facilities. The Streets Division also operates one seasonally available yard waste only drop-off site, and a brush processing center for large loads of brush material.
Before you put an item out for collection, or dropping it at our sites, consider donating reusable items to a charity, or posting them to give away or sell at the Madison Stuff Exchange.
Please note that the drop-off site hours differ from the office hours.
- East: 4602 Sycamore Ave
- West: 1501 W. Badger Rd
Hours of Operation - DROP-OFF SITE
Monday, December 4, 2017 to Friday, March 30, 2018
- Monday: 7:30am to 3:00pm
- Tuesday: 7:30am to 3:00pm
- Wednesday: 7:30am to 3:00pm
- Thursday: 7:30am to 3:00pm
- Friday: 7:30am to 3:00pm
- Saturday: Closed
- Sunday: Closed
Expanded Summer Hours:
Saturday, March 31, 2018 to Sunday, December 2, 2018
- Monday 8:30am - 4:30pm
- Tuesday 8:30am - 8:00pm
- Wednesday 8:30am - 4:30pm
- Thursday 8:30am - 8:00pm
- Friday 8:30am - 4:30pm
- Saturday 8:30am - 4:30pm
- Sunday 8:30am - 4:30pm
The City of Madison self-help drop off sites will be closed on the following holidays:
In observance of the Christmas holiday, the Streets Division drop-off site will be closed on Monday, December 26, 2016. The sites will also be closed on Monday, January 2nd in observance of the New Year's Day holiday.
- January 1st, New Year's Day
- January 16, Martin Luther King Jr. Holiday
- May 29, Memorial Day
- July 4, Independence Day
- September 4, Labor Day
- November 23 & 24, Thanksgiving Holiday
- December 24th, Christmas Eve the sites close at 11 a.m.
- December 25th, Christmas Day
- December 31st, New Year's Eve the sites close at 11 a.m.
Residents and taxpayers can bring one pick-up and/or small trailer load of material each day. If you have more material, you are welcome to return on another day, place it at the curb for collection, or take large items and refuse to the Dane County Landfill. Large volumes of brush can be taken to our Brush Processing Center.
Business customers, please note that our curbside limit of 4 95-gallon carts or their equivalent per week applies to the drop off sites as well. Residents and business customers with large volumes of material to dispose of may want to consider hauling it to the Dane County Landfill.
- Yard waste
- Building materials. The regulations for curbside collection of building material also apply to material brought to the drop off site. This includes the limit of six 30 gallon containers or their equivalent in volume.
- Cooking oil
- Computers & electronics (includes holiday lights, CDs/DVDs, and more)
- Vehicle/Lead acid batteries (cars, truck, motorcycles, etc.)
- Scrap metal for recycling
- Mixed rigid plastic
- Large items: (including furniture, carpeting, tires without rims, and small tree stumps.)
Note: A fee is charged for disposal of tires, certain appliances, and other large items at the self help sites. Go to the Appliance Collection page for more details.
- City of Madison residents and property owners ONLY. Bring proof of residency or ownership.
- No contractors at the self-help sites. Contractors may use brush processing center at 121 E. Olin Ave to dispose of brush. Contractors call East: (608) 246-4532 or West: (608) 266-4681 for information.
- Building materials must follow Building Material Regulations
- No hazardous materials or waste oil.
- No 55 or 30 gallon drums or barrels.
- Propane tanks will be accepted if completely empty and brought to the site with all valves completely open.
- No medical waste.