SELF HELP DROP OFF SITE
The City of Madison operates two self help drop off sites accept large items, recycling, refuse, rigid plastics, electronics, cooking oil, yard waste, and brush. Sites can be utilized ONLY by City of Madison residents and property owners. Contractors are not allowed to use the drop-off site. Proof of residency and/or property ownership is required in order to use the facilities.
Before you put an item out for collection, or dropping it at our sites, consider donating reusable items to a charity, or posting them to give away or sell at the Madison Stuff Exchange.
The 1501 W. Badger Rd., 4602 Sycamore Ave, and sites are now open Summer hours.
The 402 South Point Rd yard waste only drop off site is also now open for Summer hours.
Please note that the drop-off site hours differ from the office hours.
- East: 4602 Sycamore Avenue
- West: 1501 W. Badger Road
- Yard waste only: 402 South Point Road (only open during Summer Hours)
- Brush only: 121 E. Olin Avenue
Hours of Operation
Monday, December 7, 2015 to Friday, March 25, 2016
- Monday through Friday 7:30am - 3pm
Saturday, March 26, 2016 - Sunday, December 4, 2016
- Monday 8:30am - 4:30pm
- Tuesday 8:30am - 8:00pm
- Wednesday 8:30am - 4:30pm
- Thursday 8:30am - 8:00pm
- Friday 8:30am - 4:30pm
- Saturday 8:30am - 4:30pm
- Sunday 8:30am - 4:30pm
The City of Madison self-help drop off sites will be closed on the following holidays:
- January 18th , Martin Luther King Jr. Holiday
- May 30th, Memorial Day
- July 4th, Independence Day
- September 5th, Labor Day
- November 24th & 25th, Thanksgiving Holiday
- December 24th, Christmas Eve the sites close at 11 a.m.
- December 25th, Christmas Day
- December 31st, New Year's Eve the sites close at 11 a.m.
- January 1st, New Year's Day
The sites are not able to handle large loads of brush, refuse, or large items. There is a limit of one pick-up and/or small trailer load of material each day. If you have more material, you are welcome to return on another day, place the material at the curb for collection, or take large items and refuse to the Dane County Landfill. Large volumes of brush can be taken to our Brush Processing Center. See below for details and fees.
Business customers please note that our curbside limit of 4 95-gallon carts or their equivalent per week applies to the drop off sites as well. Residents and business customers with large volumes of material to dispose of may want to consider hauling it to the Dane County Landfill.
- Brush (There is a limit of one pick up truck loads or trailer load of brush per day.)
- Building Materials. The regulations for curbside collection of building material also apply to material brought to the drop off site. This includes the limit of six 30 gallon containers or their equivalent in volume.
- Cooking Oil
- CD's, DVD's (and their jewel cases), and floppy discs
- Computers & Electronics (includes holiday lights.)
- Vehicle Batteries (cars, truck, motorcycles, etc.)
- Scrap Metal for recycling
- Mixed Rigid Plastic
- Large items: (including furniture, carpeting, tires without rims, and small tree stumps.)
Note: A fee is charged for disposal of tires, certain appliances, and other large items at the self help sites. Go to the Appliance Collection page for more details.
- City of Madison residents and property owners ONLY. Bring proof of residency or ownership.
- No contractors. Contractors call East: (608) 246-4532 or West: (608) 266-4681 for information.
- Building materials must follow Building Material Regulations
- No hazardous materials or waste oil.
- No 55 or 30 gallon drums or barrels.
- Propane tanks will be accepted if completely empty and brought to the site with all valves completely open.
- No medical waste.