Standards & Guiding Principles
Madison Police Department Mission Statement
We, the members of the Madison Police Department, are committed to providing high quality police services that are accessible to all members of the community. We believe in the dignity of all people and respect individual and constitutional rights in fulfilling this mission.
Training Unit Mission
The Training Unit supports the mission of the Madison Police Department by recruiting, training and continually developing programs and initiatives that create a workforce that is committed to excellence, empowered to act, adaptive to change, innovative in its approach to solving problems and an example of best practices in the policing profession.
Training Standards & Guiding Principles:
- Trainers are leaders. Those who train come prepared to teach and lead adult learners.
- Trainers exhibit and demand the highest level of professionalism.
- Trainers will offer progressive, topical training to those engaged in its use.
- Trainers will have subject matter expertise and will structure the training based on the latest research.
- Trainers and learners will create an environment which fosters a climate for positive continuing adult learning.
- Trainers and learners are committed to safety.
Training Staff will:
- Provide an environment for the adult learner to succeed.
- Be organized, allow for participation and lead learners.
- Constantly evaluate and improve training.
- Seek feedback from our learners.
- Incorporate feedback into training to continuously improve.
- The Training Center provides a comprehensive learning environment.
- Should a problem arise, Madison Police staff are empowered to address the issue in order to continue the flow of training.
- The Training Center will be clean and Madison Police property will be well maintained.
- The Training Center has the capability to extend operational hours to meet organizational needs.