Alder Tim Gruber
210 Martin Luther King, Jr. Blvd
Madison, WI 53703
Phone: (608) 266-4071
Fax: (608) 267-8669
WI Relay Service
Alder Gruber’s Blog
This past Sunday, there was a fire at Sherman Terrace on the east side that took the life of a resident. The Madison Fire Department has determined the cause of the fire was an unattended candle. Please be careful if you burn candles.
The Madison Fire Department's Fire Investigation Division has determined that the fire which took place at 6 Sherman Terrace, Unit #2, on Sunday, February 19, was accidental in nature and resulted from unattended candle use in the master bedroom. Estimated damage to the unit is approximately $20,000.
This tragic incident serves as a reminder to all of us to use candles safely and to never leave candles unattended. Furthermore, the following safety tips could be instrumental in preventing a candle-related fire in your home:
Never burn candles on or near any object that could catch fire;
Keep candles out of reach of children and pets;
Use a candleholder specifically designed for candle use;
Avoid drafts, vents, or air currents;
Extinguish your candles before leaving the room or going to bed.
Public Information Officer
City of Madison Fire Department
314 W. Dayton St.
Madison, WI 53703-2506
Email to a friend