Alder Amanda Hall
210 Martin Luther King, Jr. Blvd
Madison, WI 53703
Phone: (608) 266-4071
Fax: (608) 267-8669
WI Relay Service
A Few Things Before the Holiday Weekend
Hi again neighbors,
I hope it's not too much info to bring to your attention in one day but in addition to the little note about the blasting earlier, I wanted to put a few more things on your radar before we head into the holiday weekend. See below for news on wild parsnips, west nile virus, trash pickup after the holiday, and an incredibly important upcoming public meeting on a proposed commercial development.
If your weekend plans involve heading outdoors, and I certainly hope they do, please keep an eye out for the Wild Parsnip plant. It's been spotted in Kennedy Park here in District 3 and could possibly be in other parks. Recall that wild parsnip is a very aggravating plant which can cause painful skin issues. If you see it, avoid it, keep your pets away from it, and please drop me a quick line so I can let the parks and recreation department know and they can come and remove it. They are already on the case in Kennedy Park.
West Nile Virus
Secondly in outdoor news, we have had a confirmed case of West Nile virus here in Wisconsin. I want to stress that, according to experts, the chances of a person becoming infected with WNV are very low and most infected people (80%) will not even have any symptoms. Those who are infected that do become ill typically develop a fever, headache, and rash that lasts a few days. During 2014, 6 cases of West Nile virus infection were reported among Wisconsin residents but none in Dane County.
Here are a few important steps to take to help avoid bites:
- Limit time spent outside at dawn and dusk, when mosquitoes are most active.
- Apply insect repellant to clothing as well as exposed skin because mosquitoes are capable of biting through clothing.
- Make sure window and door screens are in good repair to prevent mosquitoes from getting into your residence.
- Trim tall grass, weeds and vines because mosquitoes use these areas to rest during hot daylight hours.
Eliminate Sources of Standing Water by:
- Getting rid of items that can hold water, such as tin cans, plastic containers, ceramic pots or discarded tires. Turn over wheelbarrows, wading pools, boats and canoes when not in use. Water left in these items provides breeding grounds for mosquitoes.
- Cleaning roof gutters and downspouts for proper drainage – again to avoid standing water.
- Changing the water in birdbaths and pet dishes at least every three days.
- Cleaning and chlorinating swimming pools, outdoor saunas, and hot tubs; draining water from pool covers.
- Landscaping to prevent water from pooling in low-lying areas.
NOTE: If you are a renter, please talk to your landlord about any concerns related to your property.
For more information on West Nile virus:
For a list of frequently asked questions on WNV
I hope that neither of these keeps you indoors on what promises to be a beautiful weekend. Please stay safe and healthy out there while celebrating the Independence Day of this great nation.
Because of where the holiday falls, trash pickup for the area will not be impacted. Please get your bins out to the curb and then back in on the same schedule as always.
Grandview Town Center Development
A developer has stepped up and put forward plans to develop the currently undeveloped space off Cottage Grove Road situated in between Great Dane East and Metro Market. We all have a great opportunity to learn and discuss more at a public meeting coming up in a couple of weeks. It's a bit far off but this will be an important meeting and I want to give you all plenty of time to plan and arrange childcare if need be. The public information meeting is Friday, July 17th at 6pm (location TBA but somewhere quite close). There will be public meetings throughout the process but this one is important and I would like to have as many voices in at the beginning of the process as possible. I really hope to see you there and hear your thoughts.
Thanks for your attention to this info, I look forward to hearing from you or seeing you around very soon.
Happy Independence Day,
Email to a friend
Subscribe to Email List
Subscribe to the Alder Hall, District 3 email list: