Alder Amanda Hall
210 Martin Luther King, Jr. Blvd
Madison, WI 53703
Phone: (608) 266-4071
Fax: (608) 267-8669
WI Relay Service
A Midsummer's update
Well is it humid enough for you? Yikes. I hope your tomatoes and other humidity-loving plants are coming along nicely in this weather, if nothing else.
I have a few things on which to update you today
The proposal for the senior living community at the northwest corner of Sprecher Road and Milwaukee Street unanimously passed the plan commission this past Monday. Packaged with that proposal was a rezoning for the parcel to the north. There was some confusion about the latter detail there, and while I remember it was always part of the package, I know we focused mostly on other details such as parking, building color, and landscaping during our community meetings, and several individuals missed it. I apologize for that message not coming across more clearly, and please note that this parcel owned by a different company than the current parcel in question and there are no current development proposals for it.
Important Equine Events
In addition to the vast variety of community events this summer, I am terribly excited to share that on Tuesday August 16th at 6pm we welcome Madison Police Department's Mounted Patrol to Door Creek Park. There's really no other way to say it, Madison's police horses are pretty darn cool. They are all draft or draft horse crosses, which means they are bred to be big and strong but calm and unflappable. I had the chance last year to go out to the stables and meet the herd and watch some of their training and it's pretty amazing what they can do. I'm a little obsessed with the MPD horsies, I will admit; I've even taken selfies with them...more than once. If you haven't yet met the herd, bring the kids or grandkids down to Door Creek Park at 6pm on August 16th and learn more about these animals and what they can do, plus the officers will hook you up with trading cards bearing photos and facts about each horse in the unit. (My favorite is Bubba. He's just a fantastic animal, with an admittedly goofy name).
Shootings on the East Side this past weekend
Last weekend saw two shootings on the east side, one after a fight got out of hand and one in retaliation for the first one. The individuals involved were known to one another. We are glad that nobody was killed and hope that we can avoid further escalation and retaliation. Captain Mary Schauf has advised me that the Violent Crimes Unit is investigating both incidents. She also advised that the second shooting (in the Webb-Darbo neighborhood), involved a lot of shots fired. We're very lucky that nobody else was hit by a bullet, and I for one am wondering if some kind of bullet tax is an idea whose time has come.
Road Construction Updates and Progress
From our city engineering staff:
WisDOT's contractor will start lane closures on Stoughton Rd from Broadway St to Voges Rd tonight. This is a night time lane closure only, typically from 8PM to 5:30AM. The project is to repair the concrete joints, pavement, sidewalk, curb ramps, storm sewer inlet covers, traffic signals and pavement markings.
From our WisDOT staff:
USH 51 South Entrance Ramp
The ramp will continue to be closed until mid August.
USH 51 South Exit Ramp
Wednesday August 3, we will be closing the exit ramp from USH 51 to Cottage Grove Road. The ramp will be closed for approximately 2 weeks.
Both the exit and entrance ramps will be closed to install the remainder of the concrete pavement.
Cottage Grove Road.
We will continue to have single lane closures in each direction through August for pavement repairs below the bridges.
During the construction, Monona and east side businesses have been really collaborative in keeping us all aware of events going on the area. I invite you to use this link to stay in the loop and to keep supporting businesses in the Cottage Grove Road corridor during construction.
Without breaking Murphy's Law, I'm pleased to share that we should be just about done with the chip sealing process. The contractor has been out to re-sweep a handful of areas and our freshly-sealed roadways looks pretty nice. If there are any little trouble spots, please let me know so we can get them taken care of.
Ride the Drive and Paddle and Portage
In our incredibly active city we have two great events coming up this weekend. If you are participating-great! Good luck and have fun! If you're not participating, please follow these links for information on road closures
Paddle and Portage Saturday 7/30
The 2016 Summer Olympics soccer tournament gets underway prior to the official start of the games. If you or your kids or grandkids are soccer fans, please be sure to support our world champion womens team in their fast match next Wednesday evening against New Zealand. As much as I'd hate to encourage anyone to stay inside and watch television, I'm sure you'll join me in supporting America's world champions as they go for another Olympic Gold
Thanks for your attention and engagement and please continue to keep in touch about neighborhood and community matters
Be well and stay cool,
Alder, District 3
Email to a friend
Subscribe to Email List
Subscribe to the Alder Hall, District 3 email list:
- A Few Things Before the Holiday Weekend
- Coyotes, Grandview Interactive Meeti...
- Grandview Town Center Design Photos ...
- Grandview Town Center First Public M...
- Location Confirmed for 1st Neighborh...
- New Grandview Designs and a Hearty C...
- New Grandview Town Center Designs-ta...
- Recap of 1st Grandview Town Center M...
- a better Madison
- evening update on yesterday evening'...
- Fatal Shooting at Metro Market
- One suspect in custody in recent hom...
- One week later
- Oops UDC is on Wednesday not tonight
- purse grabber about, please stay alert
- Technology, Traffic, and why we're cool
- A Midsummer's update
- Big Picture Stuff and Local Updates
- Community Meeting, Coyotes, and MSCR
- deep thinking and commercial develop...
- Go Lancers, Sprecher Area Developmen...
- Grandview Hwy 51 and Judge Doyle Squ...
- Grandview, Kwik Trip, Yet another pe...
- Horses! ...and firefighters, and a K...
- I feel the earth move under my feet...
- Ice Skating, MSCR, Grandview, and hi...
- Kwik Trip at UDC tonight, plus takin...
- Last week, Pokemon Go, Development, ...
- Neighborhood Meeting, Chip Sealing, ...
- Neighborhood Planning, Kwik Trip, Ra...
- Proposed council policy changes and ...
- Quick update in regards to Grandview...
- Recap of Plan Commission Meeting and...
- Upcoming Community Events of all dif...
- update on yesterday evening's fatal ...
- updates from last night's storm
- Video of Arrest made outside East To...