Meter Hoods can be used to secure on-street parking: to accommodate large moving trucks; to facilitate construction on property adjacent to the street; to accommodate funerals or weddings; to prohibit parking for block parties, races, or parades. City ordinance allows up to six meter hoods for funerals and wedding ceremonies -- not including receptions, at no charge. All other uses require payment. If meter hoods are to be used as part of a block party, race, or parade, a Street Use Permit or Parade Permit must be obtained in advance. Contractors seeking parking may find contractor hang tags to be a viable option. Depending on the type of construction, a Street Occupancy Permit may be required.
- Meter Hoods are issued for a full day, 8:00 am - 6:00 pm, or half day, either 8:00 am - 1:00 pm or 1:00 pm - 6:00 pm. If the parking space will be in use before and after 1:00 pm, a full day hood will be required.
- To offset lost revenue, the cost to reserve a parking space is $18.00 per full day and $10.00 per half day, Monday through Saturday. No fee is charged on Sundays. There is a $2.00 charge per paper Meter Hood.
- Hoods are placed on meters by the purchaser. The paper Meter Hoods must be removed immediately after use and recycled by the purchaser.
- For more information or to request Meter Hoods, call Parking Utility at (608) 266-4761.
In areas where there are no parking meters, temporary No Parking signs can be issued: to accommodate large moving trucks; to facilitate construction on property adjacent to the street; to accommodate weddings or funerals; to prohibit parking for block parties, races, or parades. Signs for weddings and funerals are provided at no charge per city ordinance. All other uses require payment. If No Parking signs are to be used as part of a block party, race, or parade, a Street Use Permit or Parade Permit must be obtained in advance. If construction is to occur, and depending on the type, a Street Occupancy Permit may be required.
- Temporary No Parking Signs cost $2.00 per sign.
- Signs must be posted by the purchaser in compliance with Madison Police Department Guidelines
- For more information or to request Temporary No Parking Signs, call the Parking Utility at (608) 266-4761.
If possible, storage containers, pods, and moving trailers (referred to here as containers) should be located off-street in private driveways, private parking lots, or other private property. If this is not possible you may apply for a Street Occupancy Permit to place the container on the street.
- Applications for a Street Occupancy Permit must be in writing and can be initiated in person at the Parking Utility Office. It is advisable to call ahead for help with container placement.
- The fee for a permit is $50.
- Containers may not remain on the street for more than 5 consecutive calendar days.
- If the container is to be placed at a metered parking space, meter hoods must be purchased for the duration of this placement. This cost is in addition to the $50 permit fee.
- Containers can only be placed in front of the residence of the container user.
- No containers may be placed in a traffic lane, peak hour lane, bike lane, parking restriction area, at a bus stop or other street area designated for a specific use.
- Containers are not allowed on the terrace between the street and sidewalk.
- For more information, call Parking Utility at (608) 266-4761.