Apply for a Residential Permit
Check Your Eligibility
Your vehicle must be properly registered.
Receipt of payment does not guarantee permit eligibility. If you are ineligible, your application will be closed and you will be notified by email that you are ineligible.
Apply for Permit
Everyone is encouraged to apply online. Permits are mailed once the application has processed. Processing times may vary.
Permits for the current permit year, September 1, 2023 - August 31, 2024, can be purchased anytime during normal permitting hours.
Permits for the following permit year, September 1, 2024 - August 31, 2025, can be applied for beginning in July. These permits will not be mailed until mid-August. In-person permitting for the following year will begin August 15.
If online support is needed, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 608-261-4293
You will need:
- Proof of Residence* (reference information below)
- $42.00 fee (Fees are non-refundable)
- Attachable photo copy of driver’s license
- Current vehicle registration* (reference information below)
Review online application for errors to avoid delays.
Printable: application process instructions.
Apply In Person
Self-serve kiosks are now available in the office. Those who prefer to complete the application in person will be directed to our kiosks. These offer the same online portal you would use at home to apply. Click here to schedule an appointment for in-person application.
Please being the following with you to your appointment:
- Bring Proof of Residence
- Your driver’s license
- Your vehicle registration
Due to processing time requirements, residential parking permit appointments occur between 8:00 am – 4:00 pm.
Apply By Mail
If you prefer to send your application by postal mail, please include the following:
- A completed Application Form
- A self-addressed, stamped business size envelope
- Proof of Residence
- The $42.00 fee must be paid in the form of a check or money order made payable to the “City Treasurer”. Please do not mail cash.
Reminder: Do not send original copies of proof of residence, as documents will not be returned.
Apply for a Renewal
Once you have setup an account in the online portal, you will have the added benefits of seeing a history of applications, access to invoices and receipts, checking on the status of pending activities, and more. If you applied with a paper application last year, you will need to create an account as a "new user" to apply online, as paper applications are not linked with that portal.
Please note: Each permit year requires a new application since address/vehicle information often changes, regardless of permit status from previous year.
Place Permit on Vehicle
Please allow up to two weeks from the date your permit is approved and issued for delivery by mail.
The permit must be placed on the inside windshield of your car on the driver’s side. Motorcycle permits should be placed on the fork.
Keep In Mind
Any parking citations received by the applicant are the responsibility of the applicant and must be paid or set for a court date before the permit can be mailed or affixed to the windshield. If you have questions about the status of parking tickets, look-up and pay, tickets by your license plate number or call the Madison Parking Enforcement at (608) 266-4622. If you pay your tickets online shortly before you are applying for a parking permit in person, you must provide a copy of your confirmation email or receipt as proof of payment.
Current Vehicle Registration
- Madison Residents: the vehicle must be registered to the permit address. To change your registration to your permanent address, update online or call the WI Department of Transportation at (608) 266-2353.
- Temporary Madison Residents (such as a student or short-term contract employee): the vehicle may be registered to your permanent address in a different state or a different city in WI.
- The vehicle for which you are requesting a permit must be owned by you, your child, your parents/step parents, legal guardian, grandparent, spouse, or be a leased or company vehicle which is assigned to you. If it is a company vehicle, a letter with an authorized company signature is required (on company letterhead) stating that you are the assigned driver of the vehicle and your current address where the vehicle will be parked. Also include the make, model, and year of that vehicle assigned to you. If you already have a permit, see information on eligibility for multiple permits.
- Your vehicle must not be registered as weighing more than 10,000 lbs.
Proof of Residence
Provide Proof of Residence in one of the following ways:
- Submit a copy of a current lease or sublease which includes the current lease term dates, the property address, your name listed as a tenant, and the signatures of both you and the landlord.
- If you are a homeowner, either your address must be available through the City Assessor’s Property Lookup, or you must submit proof of your address. Forms accepted are a driver's license and vehicle registration matching the permit address or a property tax bill with matching vehicle registration.
- The address on your Vehicle Registration and Driver's license should both match the address for which you are requesting a permit.
- Submit a notarized Property Owner Affidavit.
Submitting an application does not guarantee eligibility for a permit. If you are ineligible, you will be notified by email, your application will be closed. Your permit is not valid until it is affixed to the windshield of the vehicle. You will be responsible for any tickets received as a result of not having a valid permit displayed, regardless of permit status.
- Residential Parking Permits
- Monthly Parking Permits
- Contractor Permits
- Motorcycle & Moped Annual Permits
- Street Occupancy
- Art Fair on the Square
- No Wait Inside