Property Standards & Conditions
Minimum Housing and Property Maintenance Code is a minimum standard that all rented housing must meet. Some of the items the Property Maintenance Inspectors handle include:
- Trash in yards
- Tall grass and weeds
- Failure to remove snow from the sidewalk
- Erosion problems and graffiti
- Inoperable cars and front yard parking issues
The Housing Inspectors' duties include the items listed above and also include all aspects of building maintenance and requirements, such as:
- Peeling paint
- Deteriorated porches
- Siding, chimneys and roofs
- Broken windows and damaged doors
- Plumbing and electrical violations
- Inadequate heat
- Broken locks on doors and windows
- Holes in walls
- Deteriorated floor coverings
- Missing and defective smoke alarms.
Want to learn more? Download the Exterior Property Enforcement Guide (PDF)
Search BI services
Tenants may be able to reduce their rent if a landlord hasn't corrected certain housing code violations.
Rent Abatement procedure »
By when should sidewalks be cleared? Stay informed via email updates, Facebook or Twitter.
Sidewalk clearing rules »
Learn about the Concealed Carry Law & what public / private spaces the law affects.
FAQs, signage & more »