Open Book & Assessment Appeals
2023 assessments are available on our website and were mailed April 21.
Open Book: Correct assessment record with appraiser
The Open Book period has ended for 2023.
Board of Assessors: File an objection to assessed value
At the Board of Assessors (BOA), you can discuss the value of your property. If you believe the market value of your property is different from the assessed value, you can file an objection to share information and data with the appraisal staff.
Additional Filing Requirements for Commercial Properties
If you are filing an objection for a commercial property, you will also need to include the following with your objection form:
- Income and expense information: Required for all commercial properties (Wis. Stat. § 70.47(7)(af))
- Pro forma statement
- Operating statements from the prior two years
- Leases for retail, office or warehouse space
- IRS Form 8825 or IRS Schedule E
- A copy of your rent roll as of January 1 of the current year, or leases with all names redacted (Rental Property)
- Gross rent statement: Required for all residential rental properties
- Agent authorization form: Required if an agent is representing the property owner.
Watch a brief and informative video about the assessment process here: Video: Property Assessment in Madison.
If you have any questions during this process, City Assessor staff is happy to provide information and resources to help. Contact us at:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Call: 608-266-4531