Firefighters Extinguish Solar Panel Fire on Roof of Home

  • Location

    7100 block Littlemore Dr.
    Madison, WI 53718
  • Incident Date

    Dispatch: Apr. 15, 2024 - 2:44pm
    Arrival: Apr. 15, 2024 - 2:54pm
  • Incident Type


43.0986624, -89.2522125

This map displays an approximate location.

Incident Details

City of Madison Firefighters extinguished a fire on the roof of a single-family home on Monday afternoon.

The fire was reported shortly around 2:45pm, with smoke and flames coming from a solar panel on the roof of the home.

Engine 5 crew confirmed that a solar panel was on fire on the cape cod style wood framed home. Firefighters shut off the power to the panels.

Quick extinguishment was made by firefighters, finding no fire extension to the home.

The fire was found to be confined to the solar panel and some asphalt shingles.

MG&E also responded to the scene. The solar company was contacted by the homeowner who also responded.

The cause of the fire was determined to be due to the radiant heat of the solar panel. While firefighters were extinguishing the fire, a squirrel had run from under the panels, which could have been a contributing factor.

Homeowners have insurance. No injuries reported.

Was this page helpful to you?