Unattended Cooking Results in Stovetop Fire; No Injuries Reported

  • Location

    300 block Island Drive
    Madison, WI 53705
  • Incident Date

    Dispatch: May. 9, 2024 - 3:13pm
    Arrival: May. 9, 2024 - 3:17pm
  • Incident Type


43.0630499, -89.487191

This map displays an approximate location.

Incident Details

A west side resident was cooking with an old pan she believed may have been leaking oil when she stepped away from the kitchen momentarily. Upon returning to the kitchen, she found the pot on fire. She called 911 and attempted to extinguish the fire but was unable to. She safely evacuated as Ladder Co. 2 and other nearby firefighters responded.

Ladder Co. 2 arrived to find light smoke showing from a sliding door of the residence. They could also see 2- to 3-foot flames on the stove from outside. A pot and multiple cabinets were on fire when they entered the kitchen. The crew was able to extinguish the fire with the use of their water can extinguisher. 

Ladder 2 and Engine 4 ventilated the residence to clear out the smoke, and firefighters removed the stove and its exhaust fan to the outdoors. Multiple cabinets were severely damaged. No injuries were reported.

Was this page helpful to you?