July 7, 2023 11:05 AM
While the current anticipated outbreak of spongy moth is alarming to witness and does cause stress to many trees, long-term management of this species and our urban forest requires a broad focus. Unfortunately, the spongy moth is well-established throughout most of Wisconsin. From a statewide and … [read more]
July 2, 2018 7:17 AM
Have you heard about EAB? The Emerald Ash Borer or EAB is an exotic beetle first discovered in the United States in the summer of 2002 in southeastern Michigan near Detroit. As of May 2018, EAB has been confirmed in 33 states and the Canadian provinces of Ontario, Quebec, and Manitoba. The adult … [read more]
February 15, 2018 11:41 AM
What is gypsy moth? In the summer months, residents may notice trees with leaf-loss due to an invasive caterpillar. This defoliation is due to the gypsy moth caterpillar, which eats leaves on oak trees and other species. As you can imagine, this causes stress to these trees, makes them more … [read more]
May 12, 2017 3:07 PM
In the summer months, residents may notice trees with leaf-loss due to an invasive caterpillar. This defoliation is due to the gypsy moth caterpillar, which eats leaves on oak trees and other species. As you can imagine, this causes stress to these trees, makes them more susceptible to disease, … [read more]
August 19, 2016 9:39 AM
The City of Madison Parks Division and Public Health of Madison and Dane County had the privilege of working with several Wanda Fullmore interns this summer. Six of the PHMDC interns focused their work on learning about how kids in Madison connect with nature by surveying youth around the City. … [read more]
February 4, 2016 2:26 PM
In 2008, years before the Emerald Ash Borer (EAB) was discovered in Madison, the City of Madison established an EAB Taskforce. The taskforce was created to coordinate and plan various response strategies to the looming EAB threat. After numerous meetings and recommendations, the final EAB Plan … [read more]
Posts By Month
Posts By Category
- Assistant Superintendent, Operations
- City Forester
- Goose Management: Numerous Diverse M...
- Habitat Restoration in Kettle Pond C...
- Holistic Approach: Spongy Moth in Ma...
- Honoring 50 Years of Earth Day
- Improving Conservation Lands through...
- Managing Geese in Parks: Seeking Vol...
- Owen Pond Exploration Day
- Take a Self-Guided Nature Walk in April
- Volunteers Needed to Remove Garlic M...
- Wanted: Goat Checkers
- What's So Fun About Birding?
- With a Little Help from Our Friends ...
- Madison Parks Foundation
- Olbrich Botanical Gardens
- Park Rangers
- Parks Alive
- Planning & Development
- Public Information Officer
- Capturing the Voices of More than 23...
- Co-existing with Coyotes in an Urban...
- Connecting Nature to Children
- Giving Thanks
- Madison Parks is Now Blogging!
- Madison Parks Top 10 List
- MMSD Project in Reindahl Park
- Parks Superintendent Statement on Be...
- Ride the Drive 2022 / Park Service L...
- Season's Greetings from Madison Parks
- Superintendent's Statement on PA Per...
- Update on Reindahl Park