Goodman Pool Rules & Expectations
The following rules and expectations are for everyone's safety and enjoyment. Violation of any of these may result in disciplinary action up to and including dismissal from the pool facility.
- Swim only when a lifeguard is on duty. Obey lifeguard instructions at all times.
- Respect all patrons and staff members. Any patron using derogative, racial or otherwise inappropriate language toward another patron or staff member will be removed from the facility.
- Fighting and rough play are not allowed.
- Diving is permitted in the diving well only.
- Do not enter the pool area if you have an open cut or communicable disease.
- Soft, clean, unbreakable toys are permitted in the shallow end. Use of some toys may be restricted.
- Inflatables, such as inner tubes, water wings, swimsuits with built-in flotation are not allowed.
- Lifejackets are allowed, in the shallow water only, if they are United States Coast Guard approved Type 1 or 2.
- Lifejackets are not permitted in the deep water or on slides.
- Children wearing a lifejacket must be supervised by a parent and within arms' reach.
- Children under 7 must be actively supervised (watching your child at all times and able to provide immediate assistance) by a caregiver aged 16 or older.
- Swim diapers are required for those who are not toilet trained.
- Water in non-breakable containers may be carried-in. All other food, drinks, or gum is not permitted. Food is available to purchase from the concession and must be eaten in the concession area.
- Smoke, drugs and alcohol are not allowed.
- Glass containers of any kind are not permitted.
- The City of Madison is not responsible for lost or stolen items. Lockers are provided.
- Carry-in chairs are not permitted. Deck chairs are provided.
- Leave no trace and put litter in its place.
Pool Closing Policy
The pool will be closed under the following circumstances:
- If the air temperature is below 69° at opening (1:00) or attendance is less than 50 paid admissions.
- If rain prevents the lifeguards from seeing the bottom of the pool.
- If there has been rain, thunder or lightening for a period of one hour and the storm is projected to continue.
- Mechanical breakdown.
- The Goodman Pool cannot meet the state codes for the safety, maintenance and operation of pools and water attractions.
Pool Terms & Definitions
- ages 1-18
- ages 19-61
- ages 62 & over
Resident/Non-Resident: A Madison resident is one who has a Madison street address and/or lives in the Madison Metropolitan School District.
Family: Family is defined as persons living at the same address.
- Elderly parents living with the family/children, non-married couples
- Foster children
- Step children
- Foreign exchange students
- Families with joint placement arrangements
A day care provider working in someone's home will NOT be considered a member of the family. Applications for consideration of special circumstances should be submitted in writing to the Parks Division.