Adopt Ice Partnership
We have a number of rinks maintained through our Adopt Ice Partnership program. Recognizing the value in year-round outdoor recreation, the Adopt Ice Partnership relies on dedicated volunteers to assist parks staff with flooding the rink, removing snow, and overall keeping the rink in good condition. Through this partnership we are able to offer additional ice skating rinks during the winter season.
- Heritage Heights Park
- Hillington Green-Triangle Park
- Nakoma Park
- Olbrich Park (hockey rink)
- Rennebohm Park
- Sunset Park
- Westmorland Park
- Wexford Park
If you are interested in volunteering with an existing Adopt Ice location, please complete a group or individual volunteer form, indicating which park of interest and select "Winter Operations."
Starting a New Adopt Ice Rink Location
Several factors are considered to start a new Adopt Ice location, such as funding, suitable location, available utilities and the timing of the request. If you or your neighborhood would like to be considered as a new Adopt Ice location, please email.
Roles and Responsibilities
The partnership is created with defined roles for Park Staff and volunteers to maintain the ice rink throughout the winter season. Below is an overview of the roles.
Madison Parks Staff will:
- Set-up facilities - hockey boards, warming shelters and water connection.
- Establish the initial ice rink at some locations.
- Periodic maintenance.
- Open and close facilities including rink lighting depending on location.
- Provide training for community volunteers at the beginning of the season.
- Remove snow from rink when greater than 2 inches.
- Determine when rinks are open and closed.
Adopt Ice Partnership Volunteers will:
- Assist with regular snow removal on rink and behind the hockey boards using shovels and brooms. Snow blowers are prohibited.
- Assist with the upkeep of ice which includes a multi-step process of spraying a layer of water, allowing to freeze and repeating.
- Depending on location, opening and closing shelter and/or maintaining lights.
- Establish and assign a main contact responsible for all coordination and communication with Parks staff.