Police Incident Reports A Selection of Noteworthy Incident Reports
Incidents listed are selected by the Officer In Charge of each shift that may have significant public interest. Incidents listed are not inclusive of all incidents. To view Calls for Services information, please visit communitycrimemap.com. Requests for information can be directed to the MPD Records Unit: (608) 266-4075.
Incident Report for Case #0000-00000000
Incident Date09/29/2022 - 10:00 AM
Address211 S Carrol St
DetailsThe Madison Police Department has been inundated with fraud complaints with individuals being scammed into sending money via electronic means to "Landlords" to rent property. The individual often later finds that either the property does not exist (or is unavailable for rent), or the person with whom they've been speaking neither owns nor manages the property.
1. Make contact in-person if possible. This will allow you to see the apartment and review the lease with the property manager.
2. Be mindful of the area code. If the phone number isn't a 608 area code, it is likely not a property manager within the city of Madison.
3. Attempt to only make contact with property managers and individuals whom are authorized to lease an apartments by using online reviews or company websites to verify.
4. Remember to be mindful of the price the apartment is listed for and compare it to market value.
5. You can report these types of incidents directly to the Federal Trade Commission as they often cross state lines.
7. Fraudsters will often target online social apps and websites, and will spend time developing rapport with their victims before convincing them to send money. They often times create that sense of urgency to get their victims to pay large amounts of money. Be cautious about persons you meet online until you're confident you know exactly who they are.
The MPD has taken similar reports in recent years, but it is always a good reminder to do your homework when considering renting or buying a property.
Released 09/29/2022 at 10:02 AM by P.O. Ryan Kimberley
The location shown is approximate & may not be accurate.