Official curbside brush collection for 2018 begins in the Monday collection district on April 2. There will be multiple collection opportunities throughout the year. Watch the Pickup Schedule to learn when to place your brush for pickup.
The final round of brush collection season will likely occur at the end September as crews switch to autumn leaf collection duties. The actual final round is weather dependent and will be announced when the date is known.
City of Madison residents can also take brush to a drop-off site.
Collection crews rotate through the City from April to September, completing as many collection rounds as possible. Start and end dates will be announced when those dates are known.
- Pile brush on the terrace at the street edge away from trees, parked cars, fire hydrants, utility poles, mail boxes and other obstructions.
- Do not put brush in the street or on the sidewalk.
- Do not put brush in bags, boxes, or any other container. You may bundle small amounts of brush with string or twine, NOT wire. Bundles may not be more than 4 feet in length and may not weigh more than 40 pounds.
- Stack brush with the cut ends facing the same direction. Remove all roots, stumps, and dirt.
BRUSH vs. yard waste
- Tree and shrub trimmings over 18" in length.
- Brush should not longer than 8 feet
- Brush must be smaller than 8 inches in diameter
Piles of brush and yard waste mixed together will not be collected. Yard waste is a separate collection with different processing. Keep brush separated from yard waste when out for collection. Brush collection crews cannot feed yard waste safely into the wood chippers.
Large Brush Piles
Brush piles that will take longer than 10 minutes to collect will be assigned to a one-man crane vehicle. The crane vehicle, or clam, will typically arrive within three business days of the chipper crew.
Brush cut by contractors will NOT be collected. Please make arrangements with the contractor for material disposal.
Residents may also bring yard waste to a drop-off site.
Brush rules and regulations for downloading or printing: