Built in 1954, Fire Station 3 is the oldest working firehouse in Madison.
The station is located at 1217 Williamson Street on the near-east side and houses an engine and medic crew.
- Engine 3 – a 2015 Pierce Engine built on a Quantum Chassis with a 500-gallon water tank and a 1250 gallons-per-minute Hale pump. This apparatus is equipped with a Class A foam system, telescoping deck gun, fire hose, and tools. In addition, Engine 3 carries emergency medical equipment including a defibrillator, oxygen, and immobilization gear.
- Engine 41 – a 2006 Pierce Engine built on a Quantum Chassis with a 500-gallon water tank and a 1250 gallons-per-minute Hale pump. This apparatus is equipped with a telescoping deck gun, fire hose, and tools and is a reserve engine for the City.
- Medic 3 – a 2016 Ford E-450 with a Braun Advanced Life Support patient compartment. It carries a full complement of advanced life support medicine and equipment including a defibrillator, oxygen, and immobilization gear. To aide in patient and paramedic safety, it operates with a Stryker power-loading cot.
- 1 Lieutenant, station officer
- 1 Apparatus Engineer (driver) operating the engine
- 2 Firefighters staffing the engine
- 2 Paramedics staffing the ambulance
Fire stations develop a specific identity over time. Surrounded by a lively neighborhood with a funky vibe, Station #3 has a true community presence. A tradition among the firefighters that are assigned there is the evening “dangle.” After dinner, the crew will often sit outside the bay doors and converse with the public. It’s not uncommon to give an impromptu tour to kids and parents as they walk by. Politicians, business owners, and street people have stopped to say hello. The crew has even been serenaded by a cellist!
On its station logo, Firehouse #3 claims its place as the City's oldest working fire station.
Station Three's News
Meet Firefighter Derek Epps Posted 11/07/2018Seventeen new firefighters now serve at a fire station near you! Get to know them by subscribing to the MFD Blog. Read more »
Meet Firefighter Mitch Hanson Posted 10/29/2018Seventeen new firefighters now serve at a fire station near you! Get to know them by subscribing to the MFD Blog. Read more »
MFD's Community Education Division Teaches Kids To BE AWARE Posted 10/12/2018It's national Fire Prevention Week, and we at the Madison Fire Department want you to LOOK, LISTEN, LEARN, BE AWARE: Fire Can Happen Anywhere! Read more »
Charity Flag Football Game Raises Funds For Local Youth Posted 08/15/2018The Madison Fire Department and Madison Police Department squared off for charity at Breese Stevens Field on Sunday, August 5. Read more »
Meet Medical Director Dr. Megan Gussick Posted 06/14/2018What does the MFD Medical Director do? Read more »