There has been an increase in residential burglaries in the West District over the last few weeks. District personnel are investigating these incidents, and will employ a variety of strategies to address this trend. Citizens can help us by taking some simple preventative steps:
- Keep your doors and windows locked, even while at home.
- Keep your garage door closed, and lock any door from the garage to the interior of your home.
- Keep the exterior of your home well illuminated; consider motion detecting lights as well.
- Leave interior lights on when you're gone; consider using a timer to turn them on and off. Also consider leaving a radio or TV on so it appears someone is home.
- Keep trees and shrubs near your home trimmed so that the exterior is visible.
- If you'll be away, take steps so it isn't obvious that you're gone: stop the mail and newspaper, have your driveway/sidewalk shoveled, keep your home illuminated using timers, etc.
- Get to know your neighbors, so you'll know what kind of activity is suspisious or unusual. Don't hesitate to call MPD if you see something suspicious.
- Don't leave keys concealed outside your residence.
- Keep a good inventory of your valuables, including serial numbers. This information can be a great help in case you are victimized.