Alder Grant Foster
210 Martin Luther King, Jr. Blvd
Madison, WI 53703
Phone: (608) 266-4071
Fax: (608) 267-8669
WI Relay Service
Alder Foster’s Updates
Spaanem, Golf, CGR Redevelopment - D15 Update 7/20/20
- MMSD to Begin Fall Semester Virtually - MMSD Administration sent out the details to families last week.
- Alcohol Licences - ALRC approved a change to allow for amplified sound on the patio at Garver and referred a decision on the proposed The Boneyard (Burke Heights neighborhood) to a subsequent meeting once a neighborhood meeting has occurred.
- Lakeside Shopping Center Redevelopment Proposal - The formal application was submitted last week and will be reviewed by city agencies in advance of a public hearing at the Plan Commission in September. I will be attending this week's LENA meeting to discuss (see below).
- LENA - The Lake Edge Neighborhood Association will hold its monthly meeting on Monday. The agenda includes a discussion on the proposed development at Monona/Cottage Grove Road. You can find the agenda here and a link to the virtual meeting here.
- Common Council - You can find the agenda and info on how to provide public comment here. Noteworthy items include:
- 2 - Creating Section 28.129 of the Madison General Ordinances requiring bird-safe vision glass treatment on specified buildings and structures.
- 36 - Amending the 2020 Adopted Capital Budget to appropriate $250,000 for the Downtown Recovery Program and $250,000 for the Downtown Equity Program
- 50 - Madison Police Department's Response to OIR/Ad Hoc Committee Reports
- 55 - Adopting the Oscar Mayer Special Area Plan as a Supplement to the City of Madison Comprehensive Plan.
- Criminal Justice Reform - For those interested in participating in criminal justice reform there are opportunities at the city, county, and neighborhood level this week:
- Police & Fire Commission - Feedback and discussion on hiring of new police chief
- Alder Workgroup to Develop Logistics & Operational Details For MPD Independent Civilian Oversight - Working on a draft ordinance to create the Civilian Oversight Board and Independent Monitor
- Dane County Criminal Justice Council - Criminal Justice Reform Package
- Dane County Health & Human Needs Committee - Addressing Systemic Racism In The Dane County Criminal Justice System And Investing In Alternatives To Incarceration Outside Of Law Enforcement
- Eastmorland Antiracism/Police Reform Group - A group of eastmorland neighbors has been meeting to talk about what we can do to support calls from local Black-led organizations and leaders to defund the police, and to take action for antiracism within our neighborhood. Our next meeting is Friday, July 24 from 6:30-7:30pm via Zoom. Anyone is welcome to join (you don't have to live in the boundaries of eastmorland). Please email Sarah (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Oona (email@example.com) for more info & a zoom link. A regular weekly meeting time will be set after this Friday.
- Transportation Commission - You can find the agenda and info on how to provide comments here.
- 6 - Approval of Metro Transit Service Restoration Plan
- 8 - Consider adding stop signs along Spaanem Avenue - Traffic Engineering will present options for installing stop signs along Spaanem Avenue to address the speed cut-through traffic. If you have an opinion you'd like to share with the commission you can find info on how to submit comments at the link above, register to provide comment online during the meeting, or send your feedback to me at the email address below
- Municipal Golf Task Force - The task force is expected to vote on recommendations at the next meeting and then approve a final report at a subsequent meeting. At the previous meeting, some members suggested closing 9 holes at Yahara, all of Yahara or possibly Glenway. One member raised the idea of selling off Monona to subsidize the other courses, but this did not seem broadly supported by other task force members. You can watch a recording of the previous meeting here and can register to watch and participate in this week's meeting here.
- Candidate Town Hall - East Side Progressives will be holding an online forum with the primary candidates for local seats (WI Senate District 16 and Assembly District 48), and we'd love it if you could join us! Please register here.
- Other city meetings: There are a number of other city meetings of possible interest this week: https://www.cityofmadison.com/clerk/meeting-schedule
Subscribe to the District 15 blog via the sidebar above to receive email notification when new updates are published. If you have any questions or thoughts you can reach me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Email to a friend