Subscribe to Email List
Subscribe to the District 17 – Alder Madison email list:
About Alder Madison
Thanks for deciding to land here to learn more about me. I'm really down to earth and enjoy sitting on my balcony with a good cup of coffee, you can usually find me at one of the many local coffeehouses if I'm not working on the square, and I'm the mother to one brilliant and beautiful son.
I was appointed to fill the vacant Aldermanic term for District 17 on October 25, 2022. I applied to serve in this role because given my civic involvement and my lived experience and my commitment to servant leadership I feel that serving as an alder and serving as an elected official is a natural next step for me to effectively impact the future of our city. A city that I have strategically chosen to call home for over 15 years. Stepping up when there is an opportunity and the ability to create a better city is a responsibility that I take seriously and something I feel very passionate about and can do at this time.
Along with serving on the Common Council, I'm also the Founder & CEO of the Progress Center for Black Women. Our work focuses on entrepreneurship, professional development, financial health, and the overall wellness of our community members and their families. I'm also the Founder of the Black Women's Leadership Conference, and founder and host of several expos for Black business owners.
Thankfully, when I decided I wanted to serve our city as Alder, it was with the energetic support of countless community members who believe in my leadership.
Sabrina... but some folks just call me Progress.
- 2017 - Present: Founder & CEO of the Progress Center for Black Women
- 2016 - Present: Founded and present the Black Women's Leadership Conference
- 2016 - 2018: Founded and presented the Black Business Expo
- 2013 - Present: Motivational Speaker & Workshop Presenter (Heymiss Progress)
- 2010 - 2016: Madison College, employed in several part and full-time positions
- 2021 - Present: Member, former Chair Guaranteed Income Pilot Program Advisory Taskforce, City of Madison 2020 - Present: Member, Overture Center Foundation Board of Directors
- 2019 - Present: Member, former Chair, Economic Development Committee, City of Madison
- 2017 - Present: United Way of Dane County (Several roles including Chair, Income Community Solutions Team, Board of Directors, Marketing Committee, and Nominating & Governance Committee)
- 2017 - 2018: Member, Greater Madison Vision Steering Committee
- 2017 - Member, Madison Public MarketReady Program, Advisory Committee
- 2013 - 2015: Co-Created and led The Conversation Mixtape, a safe space for multi-generational Black adults to gather to discuss relationship topics while increasing their social Network.
- 2012 - 2013: Founder & Host: Word is Bond Poetry Slam, a monthly open mic and writing workshop for local poets.
- 2012: Participated in the National Poetry Slam prior to creating Word is Bond Poetry Slam.
- 2008 - 2010: Community Projects Coordinator, Madison College
Awards & Recognition:
- 2019: Best of Madison Business | Brian Howell Excellence Innovation Awards
- 2018: 100 Woke Women | Essence Magazine
- 2017: President's Rising Star Award | Urban League of Greater Madison
- 2017: The Gatekeeper Award | The JVN Project
- 2017: Ujamaa | Memorial High School Black Student Women
- 2017: Community Impact Award | Madison Alumnae Chapter, Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. 2016: Most Influential People in Greater Madison | InBusiness Magazine
- 2016: M List (Black Women's Leadership Conference) | Madison Magazine
- 2016: Most Influential African Americans in Wisconsin | Madison365
- 2015: Brava Woman to Watch | Brava Magazine
- 2010: Karen Roberts Student Life Leadership Award | Wisconsin Technical College System