Alder Gary Halverson
210 Martin Luther King, Jr. Blvd
Madison, WI 53703
Phone: (608) 266-4071
Fax: (608) 267-8669
WI Relay Service
Alder Halverson’s Updates
Meeting and Event Highlights for the Week of August 2, 2021
Hope Village: Alternative Emergency Sheltering Discussion at CCEC
The City Council Executive Committee will be discussing my resolution proposal to establish Hope Village, a tiny house alternative emergency shelter option to close the gap for individuals who are unable to use our existing emergency shelter system.
This meeting will take place on Monday August 2, at 5pm.
The CCEC will also be receiving an update on recycling and large item pick-up.
Metro Fare Study
The Transportation Policy and Planning Board will be hearing public comment on the Metro fare study at its meeting on Monday, August 2 at 5pm.
Reindahl Park and Men's Shelter Updates
The City-County Homeless Issues Committee will be receiving staff updates on the Reindahl Park encampment and the men's shelter at its meeting on Monday, August 2 at 5:30pm.
Truth and Reconciliation and Housing
The Equal Opportunities Commission Executive Committee is discussing truth and reconciliation processes and housing issues at its meeting on Monday.
For additional information about additional meetings scheduled for this week, please consult the City Meeting Schedule online here
Events, activities, seminars, etc.
- Friends of Madison Public Library will host a warehouse clearance book sale on August 7. Learn more here.
- Don't miss Mercadito de las Americas, a multicultural farmers market, at Penn Park, 2101 Fisher Street. The market will feature food carts, fun activities, music, and much more. The market takes place from 4pm-7pm on August 12, August 26, and September 9; and from 10am-3pm every Sunday until September 5.
- Dane Dances! kicks off the 2021 season on Friday, August 6, at 5:30pm. This free, family-friendly event takes place on the Monona Terrace rooftop every Friday evening in August. Learn more here.
- Upcoming, public-facing COVID-19 mobile vaccine clinics, as organized by Public Health Madison & Dane County:
- Sunday, August 1: MFD by Holy Redeemer Church, 9 am-1 pm
- Sunday, August 1: Cambridge Winery, CamRock/Glacial Drumlin Trail Groundbreaking, 2:30pm-4:30 pm
- Monday, August 2: Mercado Merimar, 11am-1 pm
- Thursday, August 5: Lussier Community Center, 2pm-4 pm (with African American Health Network)
- Thursday, August 5: BYAYA Teen Nights at Aldo Leopold Park, 4pm-8 pm
You can find details and see a map of all upcoming public clinics on the Public Health website. Public Health also has regular vaccine hours at their South Madison and East Washington offices. Public Health Madison & Dane County's COVID-19 Data Snapshot is released every Thursday. You can read their weekly blog post for a summary of the week's data. For a weekly summary of talking points around COVID-19 in Dane County, please check out their hot topics document in their Google Drive.
Announcements, press releases, press conferences, etc.
- Public Health Madison & Dane County is issuing new recommendations regarding the use of masks, in light of new guidance from the CDC. Read the news release here.
- Metro is holding a public hearing on Monday, August 2, at 6:00 pm in front of the Transportation Policy and Planning Board to discuss replacing their current fare collection system in the coming years. Learn more and register to speak here.
- It has been just over a year since the Vision Zero initiative officially launched, and there has been growth and setbacks when it comes to driving behaviors and safety on our roadways. There is an active survey for the Let's Talk Streets program, designed as a data gathering initiative to inform change in a variety of programs including Vision Zero, Complete Green Streets and our traffic calming and pedestrian/bicycle improvements. Please check out the links and participate in the survey.
- The Airport Commission will host a community information session about the airport remediation process on Wednesday, August 4, at 5:30 pm via Zoom. Dane County residents can hear presentations from the airport director, Dane County Corporation Counsel, and staff from the Wisconsin 115th Fighter Wing. The commission will then take public comment after the presentations. Find the agenda and more information about the meeting here. Register to give public comment here. The press release sent out by the airport is here. You may submit questions in advance that you hope will be addressed during the presentations to email@example.com by Monday, August 2.
- Urban Forestry reminds residents to water newly-planted trees. Right now, Madison remains below our normal precipitation, and these young trees need our help. Read more here.
Save the Date
- The 6th Annual Madison Black Restaurant Week is coming up August 8-15, featuring 40 participating vendors. Learn more here.
- The Wisconsin Science Festival is seeking partners throughout Wisconsin to host fun, unique science events October 21-24. Anything from a brewpub demonstrating how beer is fermented to a nature center showing how bees make honey. Learn more here.
Email to a friend