2017 City of Madison Assessments


The following information is from the Madison Assessor's office:

The 2017 property assessments will be posted to our website beginning at noon today at http://www.cityofmadison.com/assessor/.  Property values increased 10.0% overall from the 2016 assessments – 6.6% in the residential class and 16.6% in commercial property.  Notices have been mailed to all property owners, including those whose assessment did not change. 


An “Open Book” inspection period will be held on business days between 8:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. from Monday, April 17 through Friday, May 5.  This period is set aside for property owners to discuss their assessments with Assessor’s Office staff prior to completion of the assessment roll.  Property owners may compare assessments or obtain specific information about their properties on the Assessor’s website or at the Assessor’s Office.  Available information includes ownership, addresses, legal descriptions, sale information and property characteristics.


Property owners who disagree with their assessment should contact the Assessor’s Office to discuss it with assessment staff.  If still not satisfied with their assessed value, owners may file a formal objection. The Assessor’s Office must be notified, either orally or in writing, of intent to object at least 48 hours before the first meeting of the Board of Review.  The Board's first scheduled meeting is Wednesday, May 10, 2017 at 1:30 PM.  Owners must notify the Assessor’s Office of their intent to object no later than 1:30 PM, Monday, May 8, 2017.  In addition, an objection form obtained from the Assessor’s Office must be completed and filed with the City Assessor’s Office prior to or within the first two hours of the first meeting of the Board of Review.


The Board of Assessors will review all properly filed objections and make any necessary corrections or changes.  Owners who disagree with the Board of Assessors’ decision may proceed to a formal hearing before the Board of Review.  Its function is to decide if the assessment is correct based upon oral testimony and evidence presented by the property owner and the Assessor’s Office staff.  Board of Review decisions may be appealed to the Circuit Court.


If you receive questions from property owners concerning their assessments, please encourage them to contact the Assessor’s office.

Was this page helpful to you?
Alder Juliana Bennet

Alder Juliana Bennett

District 2
Contact Alder Bennett