Dog & Cat Licenses
All City of Madison residents owning a dog or cat that is 5 months of age or older must have their pet licensed. The license year is January 1 through December 31.
Dog Registration Cat Registration
Please note: To apply online, you will need to attach digital versions of your pet's proof of current rabies vaccination and, if applicable, proof of spaying or neutering.
You will need to create an account if you do not have one already.
If you have applied online before, or if you received a letter with account login information, login to renew your license at City of Madison Licenses & Permits. When you are logged in, click Licenses/Registrations or the link to Renew License or Registration. Find your license and click Renew Application.
If you have not previously applied online and have not received account information, then you may apply online by following the 'Apply Online' instructions above.
Apply By Mail
Your application must include:
- Dog Application Form or Cat Application Form.
- Proof of current rabies vaccination.
- Proof of spaying or neutering, if applicable.
- A check made payable to the City Treasurer. See License Fees.
- A self-addressed stamped business size envelope for the return of your documents and your new license.
Mail all five documents to:City Treasurer
P.O. Box 20
Madison, WI 53701-0020
Applications cannot be sent by fax or email. They must be mailed along with your payment and any other necessary documents.
Regular License Fees, Dog or Cat
- Spayed or Neutered: $20.00
- Unspayed or Unneutered: $25.00
A late fee applies if you buy a license on or after April 1. Add a $5.00 late fee if you answer "yes" to all four of these questions:
- Is today on or after April 1?
- Is your pet over 5 months of age as of today?
- Have you had your pet for more than 30 days?
- Have you been a City of Madison resident for more than 30 days?
Include an explanatory note if you have been in the City or have owned your pet for less than 30 days and are not paying the late fee.
Prorated License Fees, Puppy or Kitten
Prorated License Fees are in effect July 1 – November 15.
- Spayed or Neutered: $12.50
- Unspayed or Unneutered: $15.00
Your pet is eligible for a Prorated License Fee if you answer "yes" to both questions:
- Is today on or after July 1?
- Is your pet five months of age or younger?