Licenses & Permits
A fire code license (or permit) constitutes permission to maintain, store or handle materials, or to conduct processes, which produce conditions hazardous to life or property, or to install equipment used in connection with such activities.
- Applications can be obtained and submitted at the City of Madison Fire Department's Administration Building, located at 314 W. Dayton Street, Madison, WI 53703.
- Applications can also be obtained by clicking on the links to the appropriate application forms (PDF) listed.
- Applications should consist of: Madison Fire Department application form(s) as required by the licenses.
- All license applications shall be made 30 days prior to commencing the prescribed activities.
- License fees are $100.00 per license, except for the Pyrotechnic Special Effects Material license which is $250.00 per license, payable to the City Treasurer.
- A license is not transferable and any change in equipment, ownership, use, or occupancy of premises shall require a new license.
- An inspection may be required before the issuance of a license. Additional information may be required to be submitted for review.
- Applications shall be acted upon within fifteen (15) business days.
- Licenses shall at all times be prominently displayed on the premises.
- Licenses shall be valid for no more than 1 year. The term of each annual license shall be from July 1 to June 30 of the next succeeding year.