Dogs In Parks
- Dogs must have a dog park permit.
- Dogs must be on a leash that is no more than 6 feet long, non-retractable, and held by a person at all times.
- Dogs must be under the immediate physical control of a person at all times.
- Dogs must be licensed (purchased through the City of Madison Treasury) and must have an up-to-date rabies vaccination.
- Dog handlers are required to pick up waste and have bags or scoops when in the park.
- Dogs must not dig, chase or harm wildlife, damage park property, or interfere with other Park users
A daily or annual Dog Park Permit may be purchased ONLINE or at the off-leash dog park kiosk. The permit is valid for City of Madison on-leash dog locations, off-leash dog parks, Dane County Parks (posted areas only), the City of Middleton and the City of Sun Prairie pet exercise areas. Annual permits for the following year are available for purchase beginning November 15 and valid immediately.
Madison residents with a dog aged 5 months or older are required to have a dog license, prior to purchasing a dog park permit. A license is available for purchase online and through the City of Madison Treasury.
Dogs visiting from areas outside of Madison are always welcome with proper license and/or vaccinations from your town/municipality. Be prepared to show proof if asked by a Park Ranger. A daily Dog Park Permit may be purchased online.
- Annual Permit Tag: $35
- Senior or Disabled Permit Tag: $17
- Additional or Replacement Permit Tag: $17
- Daily Fee: $5
How to Purchase a Permit
Annual permits are available for purchase beginning November 15.
Receipt is emailed and proof of purchase. Annual permit is mailed within 10 business days.
Dog Park Cleanup Day
Join other dog-lovers and friends at Dog Park Cleanup Day typically held on the first Saturday in April each year.
Dogs are prohibited in all Dog Free Parks, and specific locations such as conservation parks, near playgrounds and burial mounds and more. See Dog Free Parks for more information.