Curbside collection is underway!
Use the Pickup Schedule map to learn when to place brush to the curb.
City of Madison residents can also take brush to a drop-off site.
Brush collection will continue until the leaves begin to fall later this year. Brush collection crews are re-assigned to help with leaf collection in the fall.
When is my brush pickup?View Pickup Schedule
Yard Waste vs. Brush
Please separate yard waste & leaves from brush. We will not collect mixed piles.
What is Brush?
- Woody material trimmed from trees, shrubs or bushes.
- Tree and shrub trimmings over 18" in length
What is Yard Waste?
Yard waste is a separate collection. Yard waste includes:
- Leaves, weeds, garden trimmings, and other plant debris.
- Twigs less than 18" long.
- Pumpkins, crab apples, pine cones, etc.
How to Prepare Brush for Pickup
- Brush must be at least 18 inches long and shorter than 8 feet
- Brush must not be thicker than 8 inches in diameter
- Pile brush on the terrace at the street edge away from trees, parked cars, fire hydrants, utility poles, mail boxes and other obstructions.
- Do not put brush in the street or on the sidewalk.
- Do not put brush in bags, boxes, or any other container. You may bundle small amounts of brush with string or twine, NOT wire. Bundles may not be more than 4 feet in length and may not weigh more than 40 pounds.
- Stack brush with the cut ends facing the same direction. Remove all roots, stumps, and dirt.
- Piles of brush and yard waste mixed together will not be collected. Yard waste is a separate collection with different processing. Keep brush separated from yard waste when out for collection. Brush collection crews cannot feed yard waste safely into the wood chippers.
Large Brush Piles
Brush piles that will take longer than 10 minutes to collect will be assigned to a truck-mounted crane. The crane vehicle, or clam, will typically arrive within three business days of the chipper crew.
The truck-mounted crane vehicle will also collect stumps. As much dirt as possible must be removed from the stump.
Brush cut by contractors will NOT be collected. Please make arrangements with the contractor for material disposal.
Residents can also bring yard waste to a drop-off site.