Apply: Facade Grant Program
Items to be included in,the Request Submittal
Applications (PDF),must be submitted to the Economic Development Division, 215 Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard, Room 312, along with the $100 application fee.
- The application from an owner should include a copy of the building deed, or land contract. An application from a tenant must include a copy of the lease and written approval from the owner for the application.
- Both applications must include photographs of the facades to be improved.
- If the application is conditionally approved, the owner/tenant will be required to prepare and submit cost estimates and drawings of the proposed work, in order to obtain final approval.
Requirements for Approval,
The Common Council has designated the Community Development Authority of the City of Madison (CDA) as the agent of the City for the purposes of operating and administering the Façade Improvement Grant Program. The CDA is responsible for reviewing the administration of the Façade Improvement Grant Program by the Department of Planning and Community and Economic Development (DPCED) staff and making recommendations to the Mayor, and Common Council on matters pertaining to program policies, procedures, and administration. Consistent with the rehabilitation loans of the City administered by the CDA, the Director of the DPCED or his designee is hereby authorized and directed to administer the Façade Improvement Grant Program.
- The DPCED Director, with the approval of the CDA, is authorized to make such rules and regulations and to issue such orders and notices, in such form or manner as may be necessary and proper to put into full force and effect any and all of the provisions of the Façade Improvement Grant Program.
- The DPCED Director, under appropriate circumstances or conditions and with the prior approval of the CDA, is authorized to waive such provisions or requirements as are promulgated in the Façade Grant Program.
- The DPCED Director is authorized on behalf of the CDA to call upon any department, board, commission, or agency of the City for assistance and cooperation in carrying out the Façade Grant Program, and all City departments, boards, commissions, and agencies are authorized and directed to cooperate with and furnish assistance to the CDA, the DPD Director, and the DPD staff in carrying out the Program.
- The DPCED Director, or designee, is authorized on behalf of the CDA to approve or reject Façade Improvement Grant Program applications under procedures set forth herein.
- Following submission of the application and fee, the proposal will be reviewed with the owner/tenant, a site visit will be conducted, the proposal will be referred to the Urban Design Commission (UDC) for comments and recommendations, and if the proposal meets the requirements of the Façade Improvement Program, a conditional letter of approval will be forwarded to the owner/tenant. This letter may require improvements or changes in order to qualify for the Grant.
- An applicant, if approved, will receive a commitment letter from the City stating the approval and any conditions appropriate to the approval. This letter must be signed by the Director of the Planning and Community and Economic Development Department or the Director of the Economic Development Division, or the Manager of the Office of Economic Revitalization. All other communications from staff are advisory and do not represent commitments.
Application Processing Steps
- Applications must be submitted to the Economic Development Division, Madison Municipal Building, Room 312, 215 Martin Luther King, Jr., Boulevard, P. O. Box 2983, Madison, WI 53701-2983 along with a $100 application fee. Checks should be made payable to the City of Madison, or City Treasurer. An application from a tenant must include a copy of the lease and written approval from the owner. Applications must include photographs of the facades to be improved.
- A City staff team will visit the site to discuss the proposed improvements. If the proposal meets the requirements of the Facade program, a Conditional Letter of Approval will be sent to the owner/tenant. This letter may require modifications or changes to the original proposal.
- The applicant must submit plans and drawings to the Urban Design Commission (UDC) and, if necessary, to the City agencies including the Landmarks Commission, Plan Commission, Traffic Engineering and Zoning Board of Appeals. City staff will let the applicant know of any requirements beyond that of the UDC.
- The applicant will then submit approved drawings and cost estimates to the Economic Development Division for review.
- The Economic Development Division will prepare the appropriate resolutions for Board of Estimates and Common Council action.
- Following approval by the Board of Estimates and Common Council, the Economic Development Division will prepare and furnish the applicant with the grant agreement.
- The applicant must sign the grant agreement and return to the City.
- The applicant must obtain permits for the required work. The applicant must display the sign provided by the City on the site indicating "Financing provided in part by the City of Madison Facade Improvement Grant Program."
- The applicant pays for the completed construction work and submits paid receipts and lien waivers from the contractors to the Economic Development Division.
- Following a final inspection, the Economic Development Division authorizes a check for the approved amount.
Last Updated: 07/03/2013