Skip to main content

Zoning Guidelines

Street Vendor Zoning Guidelines

A basic Street Vending License entitles a vendor to sell merchandise or food on public property in the City of Madison. Additional Health Department licenses are required for food vendors. Additional licenses are required for vending within specialized areas like the Mall / Concourse or High Density Vending areas.

Private Property Zoned for Commercial Use

Free-Standing Vending - The activity of selling or offering for sale of any foodstuffs by placing a cart or equipment on private property; preparing food, beverage or articles for sale; or in any other manner participating in the vending operation or attempting to publicly sell or offer for sale any foodstuffs from private property.

  • Property must have Free-Standing Vending approvals from the Zoning Department
  • Vendor must hold a Basic or Umbrella Street Vending License
  • Vendor must hold all Public Health licenses (service base and mobile food establishment)
  • Hours of operations shall be between the hours of 7:30 a.m. and 11:30 p.m., including set up and take down.
  • No part of the operator’s free-standing vending equipment or operation may remain on the property outside the hours of operation.

Private Property Zoned for Residential Use

It is never legal for a street vendor to sell merchandise or food on private property zoned for residential use, even if the property owner has given permission. It is not legal to conduct any kind of sales or fundraisers from the front yard, driveway, porch, etc., of a residence.
Last Updated: 06/24/2023

Contact Meghan Blake-Horst, Street Vending Coordinator

  • PH: 608-261-9171
  • FAX: 608-261-6126
  • EMAIL:
    Department of Planning & Community & Economic Development
    Economic Development Division
    Office of Business Resources
    P.O. Box 2983
    Madison WI 53701-2983
    215 Martin Luther King, Jr. Blvd, 3rd Floor
    Madison WI 53703

Bike Path Vending Prohibited

It is illegal to vend on any Madison bike path, bike way or recreational trail.