Friday, Sept. 7, 2:30 pm
Dry weather continues throughout the weekend; however, our flood event continues with the lakes still several inches above the 100-year flood elevation. Continue to use caution when navigating streets and bike paths along the east isthmus, and follow cityofmadison.com/flooding for the latest updates. Text message alerts are now available, in addition to email alerts.
Keep Sandbags In Place
If you have sandbags protecting your property, keep them in place. When the time comes, the City will have a curbside pickup plan in place, and that plan will be communicated at the appropriate time. Lake Monona is expected to remain above its 100-year flood elevation for at least another week, and that timeline may be extended if more rain passes through our area.
Boat Launches To Close This Afternoon
Effective 4:00 pm Friday, Sept. 7, the City of Madison will close the boat launches at Olbrich Park, Law Park, and Olin Park. The launches will remain closed until further notice.
Street & Bike Path Closures & Updates
- East Washington Ave: At this time, all lanes of East Washington Avenue are open.
- First Street: First Street is open, two lanes in each direction.
- Olin Turville Court: City Engineering is making repairs to a sanitary sewer located in Olin Turville Park on Olin-Turville Court. Complete details and a detour map are posted on our website. Work is expected to be completed later today.
- 600 Williamson Street: Patch work is being done on an outbound lane of Williamson Street near Blount Street. This work will be completed by 4:00 PM Friday.
- Monona Terrace Bike Path: Although the bike path is open, water is still present on the path. Heed the warning signs along the path, travel slowly, and proceed with caution.
East Johnson Street
East Johnson Street remains closed between N. Baldwin Street and Fordem Avenue. The City continues to monitor conditions daily. There is no estimate yet as to when E. Johnson St. will re-open.
- Williamson Street: Parking restrictions on Williamson Street have been extended through next Friday, September 14. All lanes on Williamson Street will be used for traffic to help ease congestion.
- East Washington Avenue: Parking is allowed on East Washington Avenue, except where barricades are in place due to flooding.
- Street Maintenance Parking Restrictions: Weekly street maintenance parking restrictions between Blair St. and the Yahara River will resume on Monday, Sept. 10.
- Parking Garages: Free overnight parking in all City-owned parking garages continues through Friday, Sept. 14 at all City-owned parking garages. Late night pay resumes the evening of Saturday, Sept. 15.
- Reminder: If heavy rain is predicted again in the coming days, continue to move vehicles out of low-lying areas on the isthmus.
Ironman Swimming Event
Sunday’s Ironman swim event is slated to go on as scheduled. The water has been tested; however, water conditions can vary from place to place. Use caution when entering and navigating the water. Ironman event organizers are keeping participants apprised of lake conditions, bicycle routes, and other event news.