At this time and until further notice there are no in-person proceedings in the Madison Municipal Court. Because of the current situation, you enter a plea of guilty, no contest, or not guilty without personally appearing in court, even if the ticket or citation indicates you must appear in court.
When in-person hearings do resume, the following protocols are in place:
- Masks are not required, but are allowed in the courtroom, except when a witness is testifying. Masks will be provided upon request. Hand sanitizers will be available outside and inside the courtroom. We will accommodate requests for social distancing.
- All visitors must pass through a security screening before entering the courtroom. Any bags, purses or other containers may be subject to search before you enter the courtroom. Please consider leaving non-essential items at home or secure them in your vehicle.
- Hats, weapons and drinks are not allowed in the courtroom. It is not guaranteed there will be a place to store your hat or prohibited items while you attend court.
- Cell phones should be silenced prior to entering the courtroom.
- Recording is not allowed in the courtroom.
- Check in will start approximately 15 minutes prior to the court session. Defendants are seen in the order that they check in.
- Adult sessions are open to the public.
- Children are welcome in the courtroom. Free books are available to our young visitors. A large selection of books is available near the check-in area. Select a book to enjoy while you are here and then take it home to build your own library. Ask a staff member if you need assistance. Books made possible by a grant from First Book and through a partnership with the Madison Reading Project.