Learn more about in-person services and schedule an in-person appointment.
Art Fair on the Square
The following parking information is intended for Artists and Participants who are part of the Annual Art Fair on the Square event.
There are a variety of parking options located in the downtown area. However, no parking will be permitted on the Capitol Concourse. That includes parking on Capitol grounds, meters on the Capitol Square and the first blocks off the square. Unauthorized vehicles will be removed/towed at the owner’s expense. Refer to the following information regarding City-owned public garages and lots, as well as the City-operated parking map.
Recommended Option for Parking:
The best option for artists—especially those traveling with large vehicles & RVs—would be the “Permitted Section” or non-gated portion of the Brayton Lot. This "Permit Section" is shown on the adjacent map in gray.This special weekend rate is only offered in one portion of the lot. You must enter the lot from S. Butler St. near the corner of S. Butler St. & E. Main St. Approved participants must be prepared to show your Art Fair on the Square VIB (Vehicle Identification Badge) and your parking permit for this lot (if the permit was purchased in advance).The on-street meters surrounding the Brayton Lot will be also be covered to accommodate permit holders with large vehicles or vehicles with trailers that may have difficulty maneuvering in the lot. Permits and VIBs will also be required for these spaces.
There are only 74 spaces in this special permitted section of the Brayton Lot.
- To pre-purchase a permit, a link will be provided prior to each scheduled Art Fair.
- To pay on the Friday of event weekend, after load in (if space is still available), see the attendant at the lot.
Participating artists will receive a weekend rate of $40.00 per space. The timeframe for the permits includes Friday evening starting at 5:30 pm - Sunday evening ending at 8:30 pm. Spaces are based on a first come, first served basis. Vehicles longer than 16’ will need to purchase two spaces.
Apply for your Art Fair Participant Permit (link will be added closer to the fair date)
Alternative Parking Options
City of Madison Lots and Garages offer flexibility for participants who do not have oversized vehicles.
City operated meters are available throughout the downtown area.
- Meters are enforced 8:00am - 6:00pm, Monday - Saturday.
- Parking meters are intended for short-term parking. The purpose of time limits on parking meters is to ensure that parking spaces regularly become available for customers of area businesses and visitors to the area.
- You must leave a parking space when the time limit posted on the meter has been reached. Vehicles parked longer than the posted time limit are subject to citation.
Metered Parking not included with the Art Fair on the Square Permits
Meter Signs are available to secure on-street parking in excess of posted limits and are designed to accommodate large vehicles and trailers.
- Meter Signs are issued for a full day, 8:00am - 6:00pm, or half day, either 8:00am - 1:00pm or 1:00pm - 6:00pm. If the parking space will be in use before and after 1:00 pm, a full day sign will be required.
- The cost to reserve a parking space is $18.00 per full day and $10.00 per half day, Monday through Saturday. No fee is charged on Sundays. There is a $2.00 charge per Meter Sign needed.
- Signs are placed on meters by the purchaser. The Meter Signs and zip ties must be removed immediately after use and recycled by the purchaser.
- Call the Parking Division in one to two weeks in advance, (608) 266 - 4761, for all meter requests.