Flower Garden Volunteers
Volunteer Flower Gardeners have been maintaining beautiful and colorful gardens in our community since 1986. Volunteer Flower Gardeners demonstrate an ongoing commitment to planting and long term upkeep of a flower garden in one of Madison's Parks. At the beginning of each year, volunteer flower gardeners submit a plan and plant order for their flower garden.
List of current adopted flower gardens:
- Forest Hill Cemetery
- Garner Park
- Gates of Heaven at James Madison Park
- Glen Oak Hills Park
- James Madison Park
- McGinnis Park
- Nakoma Park
- Orton Park
- Quarry Park
- Rennebohm Park
- Reynolds Park
- Sauk Creek Park
- Spring Harbor Park
- Vilas Park
- Warner Park Beach
- Wexford Park
Flower Gardener Expectations
Long-term commitment: Volunteer Flower Gardeners must agree to planting and long-term upkeep of the flower garden in a public park. The parks maintenance staff will not assume responsibility for the flower garden if a volunteer relinquishes their duties.
- Maintenance Plan: The Parks Division requires volunteers to do all of the required maintenance of the flower garden including, but not limited to: site preparation, planting, watering, weeding, mulching, and litter removal.
- Water Source: If there is not a water source near your flower garden, the volunteer is responsible for hauling water to the garden.
- Proposals: The plan and flower order are subject to review and approval by the Parks Division staff.
Becoming a Flower Gardener
Flower gardens in Madison Parks are designed, planted, and maintained by volunteers every year. If you are interested in starting a new garden or want to receiving flowers for a current garden in Madison Parks, please see process below.
Flower Gardeners are encouraged to submit before and after photos.
Flower Gardener Process
Complete and submit Flower Garden Application by Wednesday, April 12, 2023: Flower Garden Application: MS Word | PDF
Be sure to include the following information:
- Main contact
- Type of plants preferred and quantity (plant type not guaranteed)
- Need for mulch and quantity
- Submit Volunteer Release Form
- Wednesday, April 12, 2023 Deadline: Flower Garden Application: MS Word | PDF
- Wednesday, May 17, 2023 Flower pickup day at Goodman Pool parking lot, 325 W. Olin Ave., 11am - 1pm.