The information contained in my blog is derived from notes provided by MPD Officers-In-Charge (OIC) at the end of their shifts. Most narratives represent early and preliminary information that was gathered by an OIC from those in the field who were actively working cases. The OIC is sharing what they were being told, in the moment. In many instances, facts and circumstances, even the type of crime listed, can change as officers, detectives and investigators continue their work.
From 6:00 a.m. on 10/28/2018 through 6:00 a.m. on 10/29/2018, MPD received 299 calls for service. This number does not include parking complaints or 911 misdials. For purposes of clarification, the following abbreviations are short-hand for race designations: W=White, AA=African American, NA=Native American, H=Hispanic, ME=Middle Eastern, A=Asian, MR=Mixed Race, U=Unknown. MPD shifts are staggered as follows: 1st detail=7 a.m. to 3 p.m., 2nd detail=12 p.m. to 8 p.m., 3rd detail=3 p.m. to 11 p.m., 4th detail=8 p.m. to 4 a.m., 5th detail=11 p.m. to 7 a.m.
To further break down the 299 calls for service for the past 24-hours this is how the calls came in per district: Central (62), East (54), Midtown (35), North (51), South (35), West (36), and Other (26). Other=these are calls for service that either do not have a sector listed or the sector is not in the City. For example, if one of our officers assists another law enforcement agency, their sector is not listed in our districts so therefore it is listed under "other".
**Priority only calls from 12pm-12:30pm due to calls for service.
**Priority only calls from 12:45pm-3:35pm due to calls for service.
1) NORTH: Missing/Runaway Juvenile – 6:05 a.m. Officers responded to a report of a missing/runaway juvenile (14-year-old AAM). Areas checked. Attempt to locate aired. No safety concerns identified. The juvenile was entered as missing/runaway in the appropriate databases. Investigation continuing.
2) MIDTOWN: Stolen Auto – 7:40 a.m. Officers received a report of a stolen auto involving a known suspect (38-year-old WF). Attempt to locate the vehicle/suspect. The vehicle was entered as stolen in the appropriate databases. Probable cause was developed to charge the suspect for operating a motor vehicle without consent. Investigation continuing.
3) SOUTH: Information/Sexual Assault – 9:07 a.m. Officers met with a victim (24-year-old AAF) who reported being sexually assaulted by a known acquaintance (AAM). Investigation continuing.
4) MIDTOWN: Theft – 11:41 a.m. Officers met with two victims (54-year-old WM and 54-year-old WF) who reported items stolen from their home. The victims believed the suspect (AAM) was a subject they were allowing to stay with them via a hurricane relief effort. Investigation continuing.
5) EAST: Weapons Offense – 11:57 a.m. Officers responded to 2929 E. Washington Ave for a report of shots fired. A round was discovered having gone through the front window of a residence on N. Oak St (no injuries reported). A male subject/suspect (17-year-old AAM) was located hiding in the area and taken into custody (three handguns were recovered near him; one of which was reported stolen). He was charged with armed robbery and physical abuse to a child stemming from a previous incident. Two other suspects (AAMs, ages 17) were located and taken into custody on various charges. Incident Report on MPD's website completed. Investigation continuing.
6) MIDTOWN: Death Investigation – 2:46 p.m. Officers responded to a residence regarding a deceased subject (50-year-old WF). The decedent had multiple health issues. Nothing suspicious observed on scene. Medical Examiner's office responded. Investigation continuing.
7) EAST: Information/Sexual Assault of a Child – 4:08 p.m. Officers were contacted by Child Protective Services after a juvenile/victim (16-year-old WF) reached out to them via phone with sexual assault allegations. The whereabouts of the juvenile are unknown. Investigation continuing.
8) MIDTOWN: Drug Incident/Overdose – 4:38 p.m. Officers responded to a residence regarding a pulseless non-breathing subject (16-year-old WM). MFD rendered life-saving efforts. The subject was conveyed to a local hospital in stable, but critical condition. Initial investigation revealed that the subject had taken a wide variety of his own prescription medications. The subject was left in the care of medical staff and his parents. Investigation continuing.
9) EAST: Drug Incident/Overdose – 4:39 p.m. Officers responded to E. Buckeye Rd for a subject/suspect (30-year-old WM) experiencing an overdose. The suspect was arrested for possession of heroin, possession of drug paraphernalia and a probation hold.
10) WEST: Adult Arrested Person – 5:27 p.m. Officers responded to the Shopko on Mineral Point Rd for a suspect (18-year-old AAM) attempting to steal merchandise. The suspect was taken into custody and charged with retail theft (two counts) and threats towards officers. Investigation continuing.
11) EAST: Stolen Auto – 7:41 p.m. Officers responded to a stolen auto complaint. The vehicle was left running, unoccupied and unlocked in a parking lot of a convenience store on E. Washington Ave. Attempt to locate aired. The vehicle was listed as stolen in the appropriate databases. Investigation continuing.
12) CENTRAL: Intoxicated Driver/Crash – 10:01 p.m. Officers responded to a crash at Williamson/Ingersoll. The suspect driver (54-year-old WM) attempted to leave the area after he struck a vehicle. The suspect was arrested for operating a motor vehicle while intoxicated (5th offense). Investigation continuing.
13) WEST: Assist Law Enforcement – 10:30 p.m. MPD assisted the County with a felony traffic stop where a suspect was taken into custody without issues. The County has the lead on this investigation.
14) EAST: Weapons Offense – 10:37 p.m. Officers responded to N. Walbridge Ave for a report of shots fired and a woman yelling. Officers did not locate any disturbances or evidence of shots fired in the area. Investigation continuing.
15) CENTRAL: Check Person – 2:44 a.m. Officers received a request to check the welfare of a potential suicidal subject (42-year-old WM). Areas checked. Phone pinged. Subject not located. Investigation continuing.