The information contained in my blog is derived from notes provided by MPD Officers-In-Charge (OIC) at the end of their shifts. Most narratives represent early and preliminary information that was gathered by an OIC from those in the field who were actively working cases. The OIC is sharing what they were being told, in the moment. In many instances, facts and circumstances, even the type of crime listed, can change as officers, detectives and investigators continue their work.
From 6:00 a.m. on 10/30/2018 through 6:00 a.m. on 10/31/2018, MPD received 464 calls for service. This number does not include parking complaints or 911 misdials. For purposes of clarification, the following abbreviations are short-hand for race designations: W=White, AA=African American, NA=Native American, H=Hispanic, ME=Middle Eastern, A=Asian, MR=Mixed Race, U=Unknown. MPD shifts are staggered as follows: 1st detail=7 a.m. to 3 p.m., 2nd detail=12 p.m. to 8 p.m., 3rd detail=3 p.m. to 11 p.m., 4th detail=8 p.m. to 4 a.m., 5th detail=11 p.m. to 7 a.m.
To further break down the 464 calls for service for the past 24-hours this is how the calls came in per district: Central (72), East (76), Midtown (77), North (79), South (59), West (66), and Other (35). Other=these are calls for service that either do not have a sector listed or the sector is not in the City. For example, if one of our officers assists another law enforcement agency, their sector is not listed in our districts so therefore it is listed under "other".
**Priority calls only from 7am-12pm due to calls for service.
**Priority calls only from 1:09am-2:32am due to calls for service.
1) SOUTH: Missing/Runaway Juvenile & Information – 4:12 a.m. Fitchburg PD came into contact with a juvenile (16-year-old WF) who was listed as a runaway from the City of Madison. There were other subjects present and concerns were noted for the activities taking place. MPD responded and is following up. Investigation continuing. * This was a late call that did not make the previous 24-hour cycle call notes due to officers being involved at the scene and reports from the field were not yet typed.
2) WEST: Check Person – 8:20 a.m. Officers received a request to check the welfare of a subject (23-year-old WM). Contact was made with the subject's mother who confirmed her son had some mental health concerns but was plugged into services with Journey Mental Health. MPD Mental Health Unit notified and may conduct additional follow-up, but at this time no further action deemed necessary by the police.
3) SOUTH: Check Person – 10:16 a.m. Officers responded to Fish Hatchery Rd/S. Park St for a subject sitting on the curb with a razor. The subject (25-year-old WF) was contacted and would not respond to officers who were attempting to dialogue with her. The subject was observed with injuries/blood on her. As officers went to take the subject into protective custody, she resisted their contact. She was conveyed to a local hospital for an evaluation. Investigation continuing.
4) EAST: Death Investigation – 12:13 p.m. Officers responded to an east side residence for a deceased subject (57-year-old WM). Nothing suspicious observed on scene. Medical Examiner's office responded. Investigation continuing.
5) NORTH: Domestic Disturbance – 12:37 p.m. Officers responded to the 2800 block of N. Sherman Ave for a domestic disturbance between two subjects (28-year-old AAF victim and 35-year-old AAM suspect). The suspect, who was driving a vehicle, approached the victim (whom he resides with) as she was walking and began to yell at her to get into the vehicle. The victim refused which made the suspect "more angry." The suspect continued to cause a disturbance and threatened to damage the vehicle. The suspect was arrested for domestic disorderly conduct.
6) NORTH: Check Person – 1:01 p.m. Officers responded to a north side residence to check the welfare of a suicidal subject (34-year-old AAM). The subject was taken into protective custody and conveyed to a local hospital for an evaluation. No other legal action was found necessary so the subject was released once medically cleared.
7) EAST: Information/Sexual Assault of a Child – 3:13 p.m. Officers met with a victim (16-year-old AAF) who reported unwanted sexual contact from another student (AAF). Investigation continuing.
8) MIDTOWN: Domestic Disturbance – 3:21 p.m. Officers responded to a report of a domestic disturbance that occurred earlier in the day between two subjects (44-year-old AAF victim and 48-year-old AAM suspect). The victim reported getting into a physical altercation with her ex-boyfriend earlier in the day which resulted in a mirror being broken. The victim also reported that the suspect took her phone to prevent her from calling the police. A current restraining order was verified which does not allow the suspect to have contact with the victim. The suspect was arrested for domestic disorderly conduct, domestic battery, domestic intimidation of a victim, violation of a restraining order, trespass to a dwelling and possession of cocaine.
9) CENTRAL: Found Child – 4:49 p.m. A caller reported that they located an unattended 6-year-old child. Officers found the child's residence and the child's mother. Investigation revealed that the 6-year-old was with his older sibling and they were walking to a friend's home. The older sibling stopped to use a restroom at a business and the 6-year-old decided to leave on his own. No charges substantiated at this time. Investigation continuing.
10) EAST: Sexual Assault – 4:55 p.m. Officers met with a victim (20-year-old WF) who reported unwanted sexual contact with a suspect (63-year-old WM). The suspect was arrested for 4th degree sexual assault.
11) WEST: Intoxicated Driver – 5:01 p.m. Officers responded to Muir Field Rd for a vehicle vs. tree crash. The driver/suspect (22-year-old AAM) was found to be under the influence and was arrested for operating a motor vehicle while intoxicated (2nd offense).
12) SOUTH: Domestic Disturbance – 9:08 p.m. Officers responded to Moorland Rd for a domestic disturbance between two subjects (33-year-old AAF victim and 42-year-old AAM suspect). The victim and suspect have a child-in-common. The victim and suspect got into a verbal argument which escalated. The victim reported being strangled by the suspect. The suspect refused to open the door/meet with officers. Probable cause was developed to arrest the suspect for domestic strangulation, domestic disorderly conduct and felony bail jumping. Investigation continuing.
13) CENTRAL: Information/Sexual Assault – 10:52 p.m. Officers met with a victim (18-year-old WF) who reported being sexually assaulted by an unidentified suspect (WM) she met online. Investigation continuing.
14) EAST: Domestic Disturbance – 12:02 a.m. Officers responded to an east side residence for a domestic disturbance between two subjects (36-year-old WF victim and 37-year-old WM suspect). The victim reported that her boyfriend was intoxicated, causing a disturbance and that she had locked herself in a bedroom as she was scared. Officers responded and could hear threats being screamed from the suspect toward the victim. There were reports that there were weapons in the home. The suspect cooperated with officer's commands and was taken into custody without incident. The suspect was charged with domestic disorderly conduct while armed, domestic battery and domestic false imprisonment. Several weapons were temporarily seized from the home for safekeeping. Investigation continuing.
15) SOUTH: Check Person – 1:02 a.m. Officers responded to Milwaukee St to check the welfare of a possible suicidal subject (28-year-old AAM). The subject was located and no legal action was deemed necessary.
16) WEST: Theft – 1:50 a.m. Officers responded to a hotel on the west side of town for what was originally reported as an armed robbery. It was reported that a suspect(s) broke into a hotel room and stole numerous items from the victims (28-year-old WM and 27-year-old WM). Investigation revealed this was more than likely a theft linked to an unpaid debt. Investigation continuing.
17) MIDTOWN: Mental Health Conveyance – 2:25 a.m. Officers responded to Lathrop St for a report of a subject cutting himself. The subject (19-year-old AAM) was located with superficial cuts/scratches. He voluntarily agreed to go to a hospital to be evaluated. Journey Mental Health plugged in. The subject was left in the care of medical staff.