The information contained in my blog is derived from notes provided by MPD Officers-In-Charge (OIC) at the end of their shifts. Most narratives represent early and preliminary information that was gathered by an OIC from those in the field who were actively working cases. The OIC is sharing what they were being told, in the moment. In many instances, facts and circumstances, even the type of crime listed, can change as officers, detectives and investigators continue their work.
From 6:00 a.m. on 09/09/2019 through 6:00 a.m. on 09/10/2019, MPD received 512 calls for service. This number does not include parking complaints or 911 misdials. For purposes of clarification, the following abbreviations are short-hand for race designations: W=White, AA=African American, NA=Native American, H=Hispanic, ME=Middle Eastern, A=Asian, MR=Mixed Race, U=Unknown. MPD shifts are staggered as follows: 1st detail=7 a.m. to 3 p.m., 2nd detail=12 p.m. to 8 p.m., 3rd detail=3 p.m. to 11 p.m., 4th detail=8 p.m. to 4 a.m., 5th detail=11 p.m. to 7 a.m.
To further break down the 512 calls for service for the past 24-hours this is how the calls came in per district: Central (97), East (95), Midtown (86), North (83), South (47), West (62), and Other (42). Other=these are calls for service that either do not have a sector listed or the sector is not in the City. For example, if one of our officers assists another law enforcement agency, their sector is not listed in our districts so therefore it is listed under "other".
1) WEST: Check Property/Recovered Stolen Vehicles/Stolen Auto – 8:28 a.m. Officers responded to a parking lot on Kessel Court to check for a stolen vehicle. Three vehicles were found in the lot that were confirmed to be stolen. A fourth vehicle, also confirmed to be stolen, fled from the parking lot. A handgun and ammo were located in one of the vehicles. Multiple law enforcement agencies involved due to where the vehicles were stolen from. Investigation continuing.
2) WEST: Stolen Auto – 8:35 a.m. Officers received a report of a stolen vehicle from a 28-year-old WM victim. The victim initially allowed his girlfriend/suspect (27-year-old WF) to borrow his vehicle but she refused to return it. Attempt to locate aired. The vehicle was listed as stolen in the appropriate databases. Investigation continuing.
3) MIDTOWN: Death Investigation – 10:14 a.m. Officers responded to a Midtown district residence for a deceased subject (78-year-old WM). The decedent had cancer. Nothing suspicious observed on scene. Medical Examiner's office responded. Investigation continuing.
4) CENTRAL: Missing/Runaway Juvenile – 11:34 a.m. Officers received a report from a father that his daughter (16-year-old AAF) ran away from school. Attempt to locate aired. The juvenile was listed as missing/runaway. Investigation continuing.
5) NORTH: Weapons Offense/Adult Arrested Person – 11:54 a.m. Officers responded to the 1700 block of Northport Drive for a report of shots fired. Two individuals (17-year-old AAM suspect and UF subject) were walking on Northport when an occupant in a vehicle driving by made a comment to the male subject walking. The female subject reported hearing shots fired shortly after this occurred. The suspect apparently fired at the moving vehicle. Other law enforcement agency/officials were in the area and converged, contacting and detaining the suspect (who was subsequently placed under arrest after additional investigation). A revolver was recovered from the suspect. No known injuries at this time. Incident Report on MPD's website completed. Investigation continuing.
6) EAST: Strong Armed Robbery/Adult Arrested Person – 1:00 p.m. Officers responded to the 700 block of Rethke Ave for a strong armed robbery. The victim (38-year-old UM) and suspect (51-year-old UF) were involved in a confrontation which escalated when the suspect took money and property from the victim. The suspect was arrested, conveyed to jail and charged with robbery. Incident Report on MPD's website completed. Investigation continuing.
7) EAST: Domestic Disturbance/Adult Arrested Person – 4:01 p.m. Officers responded to an east side residence for a domestic disturbance between two subjects (41-year-old HF suspect and 18-year-old HF victim). The victim is the suspect's daughter. The victim and suspect were engaged in an argument which turned physical. The suspect took the victim to the ground and proceeded to punch and bite the victim. The suspect was arrested, conveyed to jail and charged with domestic battery.
8) NORTH: Disturbance/Adult Arrested Person – 4:35 p.m. Officers responded to a north side residential home for two subjects (63-year-old AAM victim and 56-year-old WM suspect) fighting. The suspect physically assaulted the victim with his fist and a belt. The suspect was arrested, obtained a medical clearance and was subsequently conveyed to jail on charges of battery and disorderly conduct.
9) WEST: Check Person/Adult Arrested Person – 6:47 p.m. Officers responded to a west side residence to check the welfare of a possible intoxicated subject/suspect (28-year-old WM). The suspect was contacted and arrested after it was discovered that he had a "no drink" bail condition. The suspect was not cooperative with officers. The suspect was medically cleared and then conveyed to jail on charges of resisting and bail jumping.
10) NORTH: Information/Strong Armed Robbery – 9:10 p.m. Officers met with a victim (36-year-old HM) who reported being robbed in the 1800 block of E. Washington Ave by an unknown suspect (WM) the previous night. The suspect took the victim's backpack which contained clothes, electronics and a checkbook. The victim sustained minor injuries. Incident Report on MPD's website completed. Investigation continuing.
11) WEST: Check Person – 9:47 p.m. Officers responded to a west side group home to check the welfare of a possible suicidal subject (23-year-old WM). The subject was taken into protective custody and conveyed to a local hospital for an evaluation. Journey Mental Health consulted. A safety plan was developed for the subject to return to the group home. No further action deemed necessary by officers at this time.
12) EAST: Death Investigation – 10:20 p.m. Officers, along with EMS/MFD, responded to an east side residence for a pulseless non-breathing subject (89-year-old WM). The subject had a do-not-resuscitate (DNR) bracelet. Medical Examiner's office responded. Nothing suspicious identified. Investigation continuing.
13) NORTH: Armed Robbery – 10:31 p.m. Officers responded to a robbery at the BP gas station on N. Sherman Ave. The masked suspect (UM) entered the store with a gun. The suspect fled with cash and cigarettes. Incident Report on MPD's website completed. Investigation continuing.
14) EAST: Death Investigation – 2:13 a.m. Officers, along with EMS/MFD, responded to an east side residence for a pulseless non-breathing subject (68-year-old AF). The subject was pronounced deceased. Medical Examiner's office responded. Nothing suspicious identified at this time. Investigation continuing.