Criminal Background Checks
Criminal Background Check service is available through the Madison Police Department for the general public. The criminal check is for the City of Madison only. Results of the check will be provided in the form of a letter. The letter would list any City of Madison physical arrests. This does not include any arrests where a Misdemeanor or Ordinance Citation was issued and the party was not booked into the Dane County Jail nor the existence of pending criminal charges or outstanding warrants. Any questions about the dispositions of citations or warrants should be forwarded to the Madison Municipal Court or Dane County Circuit Court. You may request to have the letter notarized. We require pre-payment of $9.00 for each name.
- Landlord/Tenant Record Check (PDF)
- Landlord/Tenant Background Request FAQs & Tips (PDF)
- Records Contact Request (PDF)
- Records Release Request (PDF)
- Clearance/VISA Letter Request (PDF)
- Fee for Madison Police Records (PDF)
Please Note: Wisconsin State Statute 48.396(1) does not allow us to release any records of children under eighteen (18) years of age prior to January 1, 1996. Any arrests for criminal matters on or after January 1, 1996 for children under seventeen (17) years of age will not be released.
Requests are taken:
- In person;
- By mail, along with the $9 payment and a self-addressed stamped envelope.
Madison, WI 53703
Hours: Monday - Friday; 8am - 3:30pm
Phone: (608) 266-4969