Events on Madison Streets - Neighborhood Block Party
Posted Tuesday, January 12, 2020 at 12:00 pm
On January 11, 2021 Public Health Madison & Dane County (PHMDC) issued Emergency Order #12, which is in effect on January 13, 2021 and lasts for 28 days. Under PHMDC order #12, outdoor public gatherings are limited to 50 or fewer people abiding by physical distancing requirements.
If an event meets the criteria to occur under this order or any future orders, organizers must submit detailed plans that show how they will meet PHMDC requirements for physical distancing and cleaning policies, and a plan for monitoring attendance at the event. Please contact us at MadisonEvents@cityofmadison.com for additional information.
If this order or any future PHMDC order restricting or prohibiting the size or nature of outdoor events are in place on the date(s) of an event, they supersede and may invalidate any approved street use or park event permits.
Neighborhood Block Party Permit
Residential Street Closure
A Neighborhood Block Party Permit (a type of Street Use Permit) is required for any event or activity that takes place on residential streets in Madison. No individual, group or organization shall be granted a Street Use Permit if there is any unpaid balance with the City of Madison.
What is considered a Neighborhood Block Party?
- Located on a residential street(s).
- Minimal impact to traffic.
- Metro bus routes do not need to be altered.
- Anticipated attendance will be under 100 people.
- The majority of people attending are residents or guests of the block to be closed.
- Neighborhood Block Party may instead require a Street Use Permit if the event does not meet the above criteria.
- If you are not sure which permit to apply for or whether your event qualifies as a special event please email.
Complete the Neighborhood Block Party Permit Application to begin the process of reserving a residential street for your event.
RESIDENT PETITION - all Block Party applications must be submitted with a petition signed by an adult resident/occupant of at least 75% of all residential and/or non-residential units on the street(s) for which closure is requested.
- Online - Online Reservations are not available at this time - please email firstname.lastname@example.org to reserve these spaces.
- Paper Application - Fill out the application, bring to the Madison Parks Administration office at 210 Martin Luther King, Jr. Blvd, Room 104.
- Fees - The application fee for a block party is $50. This fee must be submitted 14 days prior your block party.
Phone (608) 267‑4916 or email Madison Events.
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Street Use Staff Commission
- Events on Madison Streets Packet
- Events that Need Water Quality Testing
More Parks & Facilities Available for Reservation
- Park Shelter Reservations
- Olbrich Botanical Gardens Reservations
(608) 246-4733 / Email
- Warner Park Community Recreation Center Reservations