recycling & collection fees
Here is the items and the prices for the large items that require a special fee.
A fee sticker is necessary or each item.
The items shaded in YELLOW below must be taken to a drop-off site. They will not be collected from the curb.
|$35 Fee Items||$15 Fee Items||$10 Fee Items||$5 Fee Item|
|Air compressors||"Dorm" refrigerators||Tires - car or small truck & off the rim|
|Air conditioners||Fluorescent light fixtures (bulbs removed)||Computers|
|Copy machines (office sized)||Gas grills||Monitors|
|Dehumidifiers||Lawn mowers||Tires - large truck|
|Dishwashers||Leaf shredders||Tires still on the rim|
|Freezers (must remove doors)||Items with engine size equivalent to a lawn mower, garden tiller, etc.|
|Hot tubs||Televisions (all sizes)|
|Large commercial appliances|
|Large medical devices|
|Refrigerators (full size; must remove doors)|
|Tanning beds (remove bulbs, if possible)|
How is the Fee Paid?
Residents must purchase a recycling sticker to attach to appropriate appliances left at the curb or brought to a drop off site.
See the "Sticker Purchase Options" sidebar for details on how to buy a sticker.
- Space heaters
- Exercise equipment
- Stereo Equipment (Can be recycled at drop-off sites)
- Garbage disposals
- Toasters and toaster ovens
- Printers (Must be recycled at drop-off sites)
- Radios (Can be recycled at drop-off sites)
- VCRs (Must be recycled at drop-off sites)
Small appliances that do not require a fee and are mostly metal and also weigh less than 10 pounds, like a toaster, can be placed into the green recycling cart.
Items like stereo equipment, box fans, Christmas tree lights and certain other small consumer electronics can be recycled at no charge at the drop-off sites. .
Certain other electronics like VCRs, printers, must be recycled because they are banned from the landfill. Electronics banned from the landfill can be brought to the drop-off sites for recycling, and please note that some banned items, like computers, require a fee.
There are also several scrap dealers in town who will accept most old appliances, some charge a fee. Call dealers first for prices and conditions of disposal.
Dealers that accept appliances include:
- All Metal Recycling: 1802 S. Park St. (608) 255-0960
- Kruser Recycling : 6421 Edna Taylor Parkway (608) 223-9220
- Resource Solutions: 5493 Express Cir. (608) 244-5451
- Alter Recycling: 4400 Sycamore Ave. (608) 241-1571
- Order online
- Sticker is mailed after a successful purchase. Allow 1 week for delivery.
- By Mail:
- Mail request to Street Division, 1501 W. Badger Rd., Madison, WI 53713
- Make checks payable to City Treasurer
- Allow 1 week for request to arrive and another week for sticker to arrive
- By Phone
- Call 608-266-4681.
- Provide credit card info to clerk during regular business hours Monday - Friday 7:30am - 4pm
- Sticker is mailed after purchase. Allow 1 week for delivery.
- Walk-in purchase options unavailable due to COVID-19.
- Libraries are closed due to COVID-19.
All Madison Public Library branches during their regular business hours. The libraries accept cash or check only. No credit cards.