Before you start a home remodeling project, you should think about how you are going to dispose of the construction debris you will generate. The Street Division's collection of this material is very limited and you may need to contact a private hauler or take the material to the landfill yourself.
Collection of building material is limited to debris from minor home improvement projects done by the resident. Debris from major remodeling or construction projects and work done by contractors will NOT be collected. Also, shingles will not be collected by the Streets Division, and they are not accepted at the drop-off sites.
There is a limit of 6 bags and/or containers or their equivalent, of other building material per week. This weekly limit includes boards or lumber placed for Large Item collection.
These regulations also apply to the Street Division's self help sites at 1501 W. Badger Rd. and 4602 Sycamore Ave.
Before you put an item out for collection consider donating reusable items to a charity or give away or sell them at Madison Stuff Exchange.
- Dry Wall
- Wood Paneling
Shingles, bricks, concrete and concrete blocks will not be collected regardless of volume.
Cabinets, doors, windows, plumbing fixtures (sinks, toilets, etc.), and furnaces are considered large items. Go to Large Item Collection.
building Material Recycling
Some building, like clean drywall and lumber, can be recycled. There are many local options for this material.
Shingles can be recycled at several locations in Dane County, including the Dane County Construction and Demolition Recycling Facility within the landfill complex.
- Scrap lumber: Go to Large Item Collection
- Boards must be less than 8 feet in length.
- Remove nails or bend so they do not protrude.
- Place boards at the curb separate from your regular refuse.
- Rain gutters and pipes are collected for recycling by Large Item metal crews: Place these items separately at the curb.
- Items over 8 feet in length must be bent over or cut down for collection.
- You can reach Habitat for Humanity ReStore at (608) 661-2813.
Mixed load recyclers
- Dane County Construction and Demolition Recycling Facility: 7102 U.S. Highway 12, Madison. (608) 838-9555
- Royal Container, 4197 Reardon Road, De Forest. (608) 846-2818
- Waste Management, 2418 W. Badger Rd (608) 235-6047
- Concrete can be recycled by Wingra Stone (608) 271-5555, Hammersley Stone (608) 845-7804, Mandt Sandfill (608) 835-5858, or Northwestern Stone (608) 836-1701.
Bricks Northwestern Stone and Mandt Sandfill will also take bricks.
Asphalt can be recycled by DRS (608) 836-6667, Payne & Dolan (608) 845-890, Hammersley Stone (608) 845-7804, Homburg Construction (608) 244-3554, and Mandt Sandfill (608) 835-5858.
Asphalt Shingles can be taken to the Dane County Construction and Demolition Recycling Facility (608) 838-9555, Roof Top Recycling (262) 723-2547, Royal Container (608) 846-2818, and Waste Management (608) 235-6047.
Drywall can be recycled by the mixed load recyclers listed above.
Building Material Most private refuse haulers offer collection service for building material.